Still can't stream FLAC Files using Twonky Server

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
nixeus
AV Hardware:Nixeus Media Players
Still can't stream FLAC Files using Twonky Server

Post by nixeus » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Twonky Community,

I am having issues with streaming FLAC using Twonky Server and my Media Player. I am using Win 7 Home with Twonky 6.30 and a Nixeus Media Player. I have gone ahead and installed FLAC and remapped the FLAC location and Description but it does not appear that FLAC is transcoding the FLAC to playback using Twonky. Can someone point me to the right direction. I have e-mailed Support and they are ZERO to no HELP at all, let alone the 3 day wait for them to reply.

Thanks in advance...

forwardt
AV Hardware:Twonky 5.x on Western Digital NAS, Western Digital TV Live media players (UPnP supported)

Re: Still can't stream FLAC Files using Twonky Server

Post by forwardt » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 am

I'm no expert in transcoding: but I've got to ask why you need to transcode in any case?

With one qualification, most media players (and renderers) do understand FLAC files, and can decompress them on the fly and give you lossless playback. The qualification is that some players require an add-on FLAC codec. For example, Windows Media Player can properly play FLAC files after you install codecs from, for example, Shark. Don't know about the player you're using... WMP cannot, however, rip music to the FLAC format.

Can you play FLAC files stored locally? If you can, then your player is not an issue.

Can you view the ripped FLAC files on the Twonky Server web viewer? Do they appear in the correct indexes (e.g. album name, artist etc)? If they do, then the structure of the folders on the server is correct, and Twonky is able to read the metadata from the FLAC files themselves. And since it can read the metadata, your server is set up correctly.

Are you trying to stream the data using a folder view, or using the DLNA protocols?