Filteron using part of filepath / Custom Vorbis tags

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Raf.
AV Hardware:Linn DS
Filteron using part of filepath / Custom Vorbis tags

Post by Raf. » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:38 pm

I switched from another Linux upnp av server (free) to twonky (licensed) solely to stream FLAC files to my Linn DS using the ipad application Chorus DS, as that one does not seems to work well with the other server, and it works fine with Twonky.

Unfortunately, I lost a lot on flexibility in building custom navigation trees. As I understand, I can only manipulate in Twonky the view-definitions.xml file.

I hope following 2 issues can be addressed:

1. It seems not possible to use custom vorbis tags in the navigation tree. I have a lot of custom tags in my FLAC collection to navigate over classical music. Tags like label, solo instrument, orchestra, choir, conductor, solo performer, voice.soprano, ...
There seems no way to link these "custom" tags to custom Twonky properties, so that they can be used in the navigation tree.

2. I have organised my FLAC catalog in 2 directories: 1-Pop and 2-Classical.
It would be very nice if I could use the filteron on the path (something like *1-Pop*) to have separate custom navigation trees, both for pop music and classical music, to keep the genres and artists of both styles completely separated in the trees. I tried with the property res[5] in the tree to have an offset, but that does not seems to work.

I hope someone has a suggestion to achieve this flexibility also in Twonky.

Raf.
AV Hardware:Linn DS

Re: Filteron using part of filepath / Custom Vorbis tags

Post by Raf. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 am

Reading also other threads, I am getting the impression that flexibility, like the one described below, is not really a concern of the Twonky developpers. I must admit I expected more from the software.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 am

If Twonky allowed for that functionality, it would be incredible... but alas... your last post does highlight what I have also noticed.

I think other free alternatives (such as PS3 Media Server,etc) should be tried by the user base. At a certain point, we as users have to talk with our wallets, given that Twonky is a paid product.

[edit: I hope this doesn't get censored, because I am posting this as a constructive feedback... I urge the Twonky team to read this:

http://lifehacker.com/5713376/best-pers ... dia-server

It's rather interesting that PMS is the most liked server by the users, while TMS didn't even make the list... Honestly, something has to change at Twonky to give the users what they want, and EXPLAIN what they already have.... Otherwise, Twonky will keep missing the mark with the user base.]

ThrashAZ
AV Hardware:Samsung UN55C8000
QNAP TS-219P+

Post by ThrashAZ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 am

Just adding another vote for building the filter on value functionality into the twonky custom trees. I'd like to only see my hollywood movies in the By Genre, By Year, and various other containers.

I'd image doing something like to show everything in the Movies folder By Genre:

<container name='By Genre' groupid='video/genre' createClass='object.item.videoItem.movie' class='object.container'>
<container buildon='upnp:genre' filteron='upnp:album' filtervalue='Movies' createClass='object.item.videoItem.movie' class='object.container' />
</container>

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Briain is the expert on this topic. If he doesn't respond in a few days, you might want to send him a PM and see if he has any suggestions for you.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/