After every restart Twonkyserver clears the whole database

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Rene Cologne
AV Hardware:Twonkyserver 6.0.28
After every restart Twonkyserver clears the whole database

Post by Rene Cologne » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I run Townkyserver 6.0.30 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Everytime I start the server tWonkyserver clears the database cache and creates a brand new database. I already set up

# clear the cache on each restart of the server
clearcacheonrestart=0

but it does not help. Maybe there is a further setting which could prevent TwonkyServer 6.0.30 from such beheaviour.

cybered
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation and Sony PS3

Re: After every restart Twonkyserver clears the whole databa

Post by cybered » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 am

Hi,

i have the same problem - are there any news?

Eddie

Claudior
AV Hardware:Twonky on Synology 108j streaming to PS3 and XBOX360

Post by Claudior » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi
I've also that problem.... No idee out there?

Thanks!
Claudio

sawtooth
AV Hardware:Server: Mac OS X Server on MacMini with Onnto eSata connected Storage 2TB
MediaPlayer: Conceptronic CFULLHDMAi Grap’n’Go

Post by sawtooth » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:27 pm

here as well. i'm on mac: where is the config file located where i can put in the 0?

clearcacheonrestart=0

than you

saw

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Rene Cologne wrote:I run Townkyserver 6.0.30 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Everytime I start the server tWonkyserver clears the database cache and creates a brand new database. I already set up

clearcacheonrestart=0

but it does not help. Maybe there is a further setting which could prevent TwonkyServer 6.0.30 from such beheaviour.
Are you sure that is what twonky is doing? When you start twonky it will re-scan all shared media folders and update the database. Obviously to look for files that have been added/removed/updated.

The clearcacheonrestart option I believe is related to the transcoding directories, so it won't affect how the media file scan or db update works.

cybered

Post by cybered » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 pm

[quote="parnott"]
Are you sure that is what twonky is doing? When you start twonky it will re-scan all shared media folders and update the database. Obviously to look for files that have been added/removed/updated.

The clearcacheonrestart option I believe is related to the transcoding directories, so it won't affect how the media file scan or db update works.[/quote]

Yes, here the same!

I have also tested it on my NAS, and if you google you find a lot of users with this problem - not even on PC - also on Mac, NAS and so on!

If the PC or NAS is online, there is no problem and also the rescan after the time which is in the setting works without clearing the cache - but if the hardware do a restart and twonky is newly loaded, the whole cache is cleared and a rescan is running - the clients see no media until the cache is rebuild!

regards
Eddie

sipart
AV Hardware:Buffalo nas and android devices

Post by sipart » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 am

Same here very annoying - do not want to leave my nas on all the time and dont want to wait 10-20 mins to access the media!

cybered

Post by cybered » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm

sipart wrote:Same here very annoying - do not want to leave my nas on all the time and dont want to wait 10-20 mins to access the media!
Seems there's no solution out there... :?

cybered

Post by cybered » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:46 pm

cybered wrote:
sipart wrote:Same here very annoying - do not want to leave my nas on all the time and dont want to wait 10-20 mins to access the media!
Seems there's no solution out there... :?
Hi,

i found out that all versions (also the original, embedded) from 4.x till now do a rescan after a hardware-reboot!!!
But the 4.x is the fastest and the 6.0.30 the slowest - on my hardware (Linkstation Quad)!

Maybe Twonky will embedd a switch in future versions where that 'feature' can be disabled :?

ronster
AV Hardware:Server: Asus M5A97 / Phenom II X6 1045T
Twonkyserver 8.2

Media Clients: WDTV Live; PlugPlayer for iOS; Foobar2000 w/UPnP Browser.

Post by ronster » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I've recently purchased Twonkyserver v6 for Linux and I also experience this and in fact it does wipe out the database.

Why is V6 slow at rescan? Once the system is restarted it does a rescan that dumps all it finds in a temp folder, a file is created per discovery and then slowly pieced together.

To clarify in my case - I have a music folder with around 2000 playlists (each representing 1 disc). On restart of the server all the prior scan information is wiped out, rescanned, where a temp folder receives 2000 temp files, it stitches together - one by one...one at a time at a rate (on my Athlon XP 2400 server) of 1 temp file/second. Each temp file was processed then deleted until the database was rebuilt - and what was processed was only then only available to the media clients. That was the behavior I observed. So for me, each restart of Twonkyserver v6 takes an upwards of 1.5 hours before I have a complete usable menu system - In short, colossally slow!

I recently discovered that I can have v6.0 and v4.4 running concurrently. As v6 has some missing features, I run both.

Rene Cologne
AV Hardware:Twonkyserver 6.0.28

Post by Rene Cologne » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks for your replies! On one hand I am relieved that I am not the only one but on the other hand that the problem does still exist.

@parnott
I am sure that the whole database will be rebuilt because the files have a new creation (!) date and they are very small after a restart of the Twonkyserver.
I tried it on Windows Vista and on Windows 7 as well as on my Bufallo NAS. The same behaviour on all systems.