How to change Manager/Server settings for NAS support?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Acer
AV Hardware:Sony TV, Sony PS3 & Netgear NAS MS2120
How to change Manager/Server settings for NAS support?

Post by Acer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 am

Hi all,

I have Twonky Manager/Server installed (V 2.0.4.25) & working well on a PC but am planning to add a NAS (Netgear Stora MS2120) in a couple of days & was wondering how I can change the configuration settings to support the new NAS? I've searched throughtout the Manager configuration settings menu but cannot find the option that originally appeared when I installed Twonky: "Install TwonkyMedia as a System Service (Uncheck for NAS support)". I left it checked when first installed (default) as I didn't have a NAS.

Many thanks,

Acer

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: How to change Manager/Server settings for NAS support?

Post by PeeBee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Are you planning to install Twonky on the NAS or just use it to hold your media files?

If it is just holding your files then all you need to do is put Twonky at the files location on the sharing page. You won't be able to browse to the network share on the NAS but you can manually enter the location. Note you will have to use an IP address instead of a host name.

I use \\192.168.2.150\Music, \\192.168.2.150\Videos and \\192.168.2.150\Photos as content locations for my media. I can't remember having to change the System Service setting when I changed to point to files on my NAS.

Installing Twonky on your NAS is a whole different ball game.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

Acer
AV Hardware:Sony TV, Sony PS3 & Netgear NAS MS2120

Post by Acer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:46 am

Hi PeeBee,

Thanks for the response :) .

I am not planning to install or run Twonky on my NAS directly but just planning for the Twonky Server to be used as the "master" that points to all the media on my NAS as well as PC. Just found it interesting when installing Twonky that it offered the option I mentioned in my original post implying that NAS support requires the setting: "Install TwonkyMedia as a System Service (Uncheck for NAS support)" to be unchecked. Unfortunately once the software is installed I can no longer find this setting to change.

Wonder if this is why you found you can't browse the network share files directly :? ?

Cheers,

Michael

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:41 am

The way to try it out will be to uninstall and re-install Twonky and choosing the other option. I would be interested in finding out if this solves the issue of having to use IP addresses to refer to shares and not being able to browse for them directly. As my PC install is my secondary version of Twonky I might try a re-install at the weekend.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)