Streaming problems to Samsung TV

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
planetf1
AV Hardware:NAS
Streaming problems to Samsung TV

Post by planetf1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:09 am

I have a HP WHS server EX490. Previously twonky 5.1.x was installed, but I recently updated to 6.0.28 using a standalone twonky server license. The problem below occurred with both code levels.

the TV is a Samsung UE46c6620 -- a 2010 internet@tv enabled model running firmware 3005 (the latest, late Dec)

I have music in a variety of formats, but my favoured form of late has been 224-256 kbps AAC. Some are VBR. The files are named as .aac but are not DRM protected

The music plays great via twonky to my Nokia N900 mobile phone, but the samsung tc will report "unsupported file format". Some AACs work fine, so I can only guess it could be a bitrate issue, though right now I can't quite work it out -- have two files at 220 ish kbps, one plays, once doesn't...

It could be metadata... though it's usually an entire album that fails -

Has anyone tweaked the config for "Samsung TV" (which is being correctly detected by twonky) to better match the TVs capabilities & perform appropriate conversion?

I also have a Sony bluray BDP-370 which from memory had similar issues -- something to check another night!

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Streaming problems to Samsung TV

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:55 pm

Have you tried playing the files directly from a memory stick?

I have a B650 Samsung TV and that will only play mp3 files. The newer C series must play more than this if you have got some aac files to play.

If the files don't play from USB then it's a TV problem and not a streaming problem.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

planetf1
AV Hardware:NAS

Post by planetf1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:29 am

I've not tried USB, and can test that, but am I right in thinking twonky can also transcode -- in which case it comes down to understanding what the TV can handle, and creating a matching config file.

I noticed there's a samsung configuration, so hence question..

But yes it does appear to play *unprotected* aac (mp4) - I need to test specifically what formats

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Yes, you can set up Twonky to transcode and there are plenty of posts on this forum about how to do it. I recently set up transcoding from wma to mp3 and got it to work OK. You should be able to do the same for aac to mp3 if needed.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

spoona
AV Hardware:Twonky Media Server 6.0.28 on OSX 10.6.6, Samsung PS50C7000 PDP TV

Post by spoona » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:42 pm

I have a similar issue, and it is not related to transcoding. I have a number of large (bigger than 1GB) video files, some .mkv, some .mp4 that I'm trying to play on my TV.

If I try to play these from my Samsung TV, it reads the file for some time, and then the TV performs a soft reset ( power cycles on/off ). It is as if the TV is being served the entire file, but gives up after about 90 seconds of receiving data (over a wired LAN). Smaller files seem to play without any issues.

I have tried to play EXACTLY the same large files, but using Vuze 4.6.0.0 as the DLNA server ( and it is NOT transcoding ) on the same Mac, and all files play OK on the Samsung TV.

I'm somewhat peeved that a piece of free software is doing what Twonky is unable to do. I appreciate that some hardware is not fully compliant, but the issue is obviously not with the files if Vuze is able to serve them up to the TV ?