Twonky won't play .MP4 files on the Samsung BD-C5500

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
digitoxin
Twonky won't play .MP4 files on the Samsung BD-C5500

Post by digitoxin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:55 am

I have a Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-ray player. I have been able to get everything except .mp4 files to stream perfectly to my blu-ray player using the latest version of Twonky by manually selecting the Samsung TV profile. The .mp4 files will play correctly off of a USB stick and using Serviio (another DLNA server), so I know it is possible to play these by streaming. I can get these to stream successfully using Twonky by renaming the files from .MP4 to .MKV. This is not an acceptable solution, but it shows that Twonky can stream these files, so it must be some type of profile issue. I have played around with the clients.db for over an hour with no luck getting .MP4 files to stream successfully to my Samsung without renaming the files. I have verified that these are indeed .MP4 files and not .MKV files with an incorrect file extension.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Twonky won't play .MP4 files on the Samsung BD-C5500

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:33 pm

The default Samsung TV profile does not have an entry for mp4 files.

If the mp4 files play when renamed to mkv then you should be able to change MT:mkv video/x-mkv to MT:mkv,mp4 video/x-mkv in the clients.db file profile for Samsung TV. This tells Twonky to play files ending in mp4 as if they were mkv files.

As the Samsung TVs and BR players can play mp4 files then it should also work to add MT: mp4 video/MP4V-ES or MT: mp4 video/mp4 to the Samsung TV profile.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

digitoxin

Post by digitoxin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 am

I have already tried this. It didn't work.

etalkishere
AV Hardware:receiver, blu ray dvd player

Post by etalkishere » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Do you have any solution yet? I got the same issue with my Samsung 5500 Blu Ray player, ie, everything works great, except i can't play .mp4 movies or video clips (.3gpp formats) recorded on my Sprint 4G Shift phone. :(

I tried out the imediashared. I was able to play .mp4 files on my 5500, but it wasn't very smooth. so i gave it up. i hope someone here can help me with addressing the issue with playing .mp4 or .3gpp files using Twonky. so far i really like it, except i can't play video clips, which is important for me especially sharing funny family clips.

Any help from anyone here would be much appreciated. BTW, is there an app that allows you to easily modify the client.db file or renaming .mp4 to .mkv extentions?

[quote="digitoxin"]I have already tried this. It didn't work.[/quote]

amunoz_tico
AV Hardware:Samsung UN46C7000 & BD-C6900 ¬ Sony PS3 & BPD-S370 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Post by amunoz_tico » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:53 pm

digitoxin wrote:I have already tried this. It didn't work.
Did you get a solution?

etalkishere wrote: renaming .mp4 to .mkv extentions?
You can rename your MP4 files with "BULK RENAME UTILITY", it is a freeware. You can rename multiple files quickly, according to many flexible criteria.
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php
Samsung UN46C7000, BD-C6900 & BD-D5500 ¬ Sony PS3 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

ThrashAZ
AV Hardware:Samsung UN55C8000
QNAP TS-219P+

Post by ThrashAZ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Just thought I would add my $.02 here as well.

I ran into the same issue after encoding my entire DVD library. The MP4s would play from USB but then when I put in a QNAP TS-219P+, they would not stream over DLNA to my Samsung UN55C8000.

What I eventually discovered was that MP4s had to be structured so that they were "web optimized." If you are encoding video files in HandBrake, use can check the Web Optimized box or use the --optimize command.

What this does is rearranges the MP4 files so they play better over the web as progressive downloads. Basically, doing this moves the MP4 atoms to the beginning of the file instead of the end, which allows the movie to start streaming faster from certain devices, but also makes changes to the atoms less efficient (i.e. modifying metadata, etc.).

There are a number of utilities out there that can move the MP4 atoms. However, the ONLY one I was able to successfully create consistent playable MP4s (stream to Samsung TV over the network) with is AoA MP4 Patch. (google it)

I thought I would have to re-encode all of my MP4s because they wouldn't play back via DLNA to my Samsung TV. But, after running them through the AoA MP4 Patch utility, they all now play successfully.

Best of luck to you all!

Josh

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Great suggestion Josh. Thanks for posting here. :)

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/