Is it worth upgrading?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
runningdeere
AV Hardware:Win2K server. Pinnacle showcenter clients
Is it worth upgrading?

Post by runningdeere » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi,

I am currently running Twonky Server 4.11 on a Win 2K3 Server box.
I am considering upgrading it to the latest 6.0.X release, but I wanted to ask if it's really worth the bother?

I can't find a change log anywhere to find out what the differences are, but I also wondered how stable the latest release is?
My current version is rock solid, streaming mainly video to up to 3 Pinnacle Showcenter players. One thing that does not appear to work is the transcoding feature, so the ability to transcode mkv files to avi on the fly would be a great benefit.

Thanks.

ceasar
AV Hardware:LOEWE Connect 37 Media Full-HD+ 100 DR+
Qnap TS-109 PRO - TwonkyMedia 5.XXX
TwonkyServer, TwonkyManager und TwonkyBeam on PC
TwonkyServer Mobile and Twonky Mobile on SE x10mini Pro

Re: Is it worth upgrading?

Post by ceasar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:20 pm

i upgraded, would say its worth it, had no problems with downtime etc

if you want use your old license and you will get the upgrade cheper (even without the code the program is cheap)

runningdeere
AV Hardware:Win2K server. Pinnacle showcenter clients

Post by runningdeere » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Well I have a V5 license so I shouldn't need to get a new one anyway - although it is a bit cheaper than when I bought mine.

I just don't really want the aggravation of changing it all over only to find it won't work properly.
After having a look at the current version, I can't find where I can define the navigation tree like I can in V4 - I use a custom tree (nothing complicated, just by folder but I insert > in front of folder names as it makes it easier to see on my devices) and all that functionality looks like it's been ripped out.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

The lack of navigation tree control is one downside of moving away from v4. There has been talk of creating a front end application to create new trees but no sign of it yet.

There have been a number of new trees posted to fit various situations by a forum member called Briain so you might find they fit your needs.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)