creating DESC files for ffmpeg transcoding

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3
creating DESC files for ffmpeg transcoding

Post by 1BigGuy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

Would Twonky please post a link to a beginner's tutorial for creating DESC files for ffmpeg transcoding? I have read all the forum posts about FFMPEG, looked at the documentation for the numerous FFMPEG switches which assumes you know more than I do about transcoding video and at the supplied DESC files. What is a beginner to do?

It would be useful for the beginner to also include a set of small test files for verification that Twonky is properly transcoding each format for the devices on our networks, be it a VISTA computer, XP computer, BD player or TV.

Also, how do I get TWONKY to work with purchased iTunes media? It appears not to have found a "itunes library.xml" file during install if that matters.

Thank you

1BigGuy
AV Hardware:Windows Home Server PP3

Re: creating DESC files for ffmpeg transcoding

Post by 1BigGuy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 am

I FINALLY figured it out.
I had a bad build of ffmpeg.exe and its folder contents. I replaced them and that cured my Twonky server launch ffmpeg errors and much of my file format issues. I still cannot play iTunes media and some other file formats from my WHS on my Sony Internet TV. There are in a separate rooms. Meaning, it will take a while to identify the media file types and look at how the server processes each.
This is a big improvement since my upgrade to server v. 6.0.28 from WHS addin version 5.