Incorrect sort order

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
mackowiakp
AV Hardware:Samsung TV series 5 and 6, PCH A110, Mandirva Linux
Icecrypt S4000 Sat PVR, Ariva 200 Sat PVR-Ready
Incorrect sort order

Post by mackowiakp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 pm

I have A/V files with names containing national characters of my language (Polish). It is most painfull if filename begins with Polish national character. So sort order listed on TV set and PC is not correct in according to my language alfabetic order. Is any possibility to resolve the problem?
Linux is like wigwam. No Windows, no Gates but Apache inside!

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Incorrect sort order

Post by PeeBee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Can you give examples of filenames that are out of order?

As with your earlier post, this is probabaly just a result of how computers naturally sort things. Every character has an equivalent number in the ASCII (or extended) character set and the sorting is done based on that which is why your national characters appear in the wrong order compared to standard charactes (a-z, 0-9 etc).

I doubt if it is a problem that can be solved within Twonky and I expect that other media servers will sort the same way.

Regards

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

mackowiakp

Post by mackowiakp » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Just look at http://chomikuj.pl/mackowiakp and pick-up two screen-shots files named screen13.png and screen14.png.All endoding I use is UTF-8. The codepage form my country is 8859-2 (not - 1). So the native character order for my country is (just a piece)
a ą b c ć d e ę g h i j k l ł m n ń etc. All database I know (Oracle, Informix) support national alfabetic order. So I want Twonky to work properly with my language alfabet.
I dont know if the letters above will be displayed correctly in Your browser (because of diferences in localisation).
If any problem with downloading of files above, I can send You via PM.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:52 pm

I have had a look at your images and don't think there is anything that can be done from a config point of view to get this to work for you.

It would need Twonky to change the way they sort based on the language chosen. At present there is no Polish selection for TMS but I know from other posts that you have done this work for the Twonky team - perhaps as payback they could fix your problem for you (and others)?

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

mackowiakp

Post by mackowiakp » Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 pm

OK, but is any possibility to sort files names in database in any language other than English? I mean about sorting other than ASCII standard codes/letters order.

panagiotis
AV Hardware:wd live

Post by panagiotis » Mon May 09, 2011 3:43 pm

TS 6.x - same problem with greek filenames. Twonky Support answered :

"TS only supports sorting on ASCII characters, plus some special extensions (like German Umlauts or French accents) For all other characters TS simply uses the UTF8 character ID for sorting, but this might not always give correct results. The implementation is intentionally that way, because of performance considerations"

When I purchased TS (version 5.1.3) used to work fine without any sorting issues.
So I installed this old version and it's ok now.

mackowiakp

Post by mackowiakp » Mon May 09, 2011 4:25 pm

panagiotis wrote:The implementation is intentionally that way, because of performance considerations"
Does anybody understand such explanation? Unbeliveable!!!!

panagiotis
AV Hardware:wd live

Post by panagiotis » Mon May 09, 2011 8:47 pm

I think that they want to say ......"Don't expect any solution. We can't or we don't want to fix it. Download an old version and it will be ok!!"

mackowiakp

Post by mackowiakp » Tue May 10, 2011 3:40 am

Hmmm. Terrible. So my official question to the TS developers is:

"Is it in Your plans to implement NLS (National Language Support) or not?"

My question is because NLS support is build in all Operating Systems the TS can work on.