Unable to sort music according to track number **SOLVED**

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
rioba
AV Hardware:NaimAudio Uniti, Promise NAS
Unable to sort music according to track number **SOLVED**

Post by rioba » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:55 pm

I just started using Twonky Server on MacOS X to stream music to my NaimUniti. In my experience Twonky is the only server working without any major problem with Mac and Naim Uniti. However, I am not able to sort tracks according to their number. They are always sorted alphabetically. I imagine that tricking the xml files could change this behavior, but I am not sure how this exactly works. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE. After a more careful search in the fora I found this post (http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 925#p30809) that solved my problem. Thanks to PeeBee.

I frankly don't understand why people from Twonky/PacketVideo don't release more information on customizing xml files. A manual won't be that difficult to write. But I could not find it anywhere unless I'm missing something. And, by the way anyone listening to music, any genre of music, knows that the default mode is by disc number/track number, not alphabetically by title. Just a simple question to Twonky programmers: would you listen to the 4th movement (Finale) of the Beethoven 3rd Symphony right after the 1st movement (Allegro con brio) and before the 2nd (Marcia funebre)? I understand this would be a very creative way of listening to classical music, but it is not the way Beethoven wanted it to be played. Or was he wrong?
Last edited by rioba on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Unable to order music according to track number **SOLVE

Post by PeeBee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:56 pm

In Twonky's defence it only sorts this way for the Folder view and not in Album view.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

JosephinaMore
AV Hardware:Linn, NAS, PC, MAC

Re: Unable to order music according to track number **SOLVE

Post by JosephinaMore » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:33 pm

[quote="PeeBee"]In Twonky's defence it only sorts this way for the Folder view and not in Album view.

PB[/quote] I have the problem in Album, Artist/album or Folderview. It would be nice if it were solved.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Unable to sort music according to track number **SOLVED

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:41 pm

What version of TwonkyServer are you running? And what type of media files are you having problems with? I've never seen track number problems with any of the album views.

RE: Folder view
There is a simple work around that has addressed this issue for some. There is software like Tag & Rename that will automatically rename all of your files. If you select a naming convention like track number - track name it may address this problem for you as long as the songs from each album are placed in a folder. Even if they are not, this software can do this for you. I'm not saying this is a solution, but some have found this to be a useful workaround.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/