Problem streaming photos to Samsung PN63C590 TV

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
JoeSammamish
AV Hardware:Western Digital My Book World Edition II (WDH2NC20000N) NAS
Twonky Media server (version 5.1?) came pre-installed on the WD NAS
Denon AVR-3310CI receiver
Windows 7 laptop
Problem streaming photos to Samsung PN63C590 TV

Post by JoeSammamish » Sun May 01, 2011 12:20 am

I was having a problem streaming photos on my Samsung PN63C590 TV last night. I have my photos stored on a Western Digital MyBook World Edition NAS running TwonkyServer 6.0.32. I could happily find the photos in the various folders using my Samsung TV and then view the contents of a folder as a slide show. However, after about ten minutes, the TV would turn itself off and then back on (apparently rebooting itself). After the TV "reboot", I would have to wait a minute or two for the Samsung TV to find the network again, but other than that, everything would work happily for another ten minutes or so until the next "reboot".

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? The photos were pretty standard snapshots and not particularly large (typically 2048 x 1536 pixels), so they were well within the TV's capability. Also, there were fewer than 200 photos in a given folder, so that should not have been an issue.

I am guessing this is more likely a problem with my TV, but I suppose there could be an issue with TwonkyServer's set-up for Samsung TVs (although I'm hard pressed to imagine what TwonkyServer could be doing to cause a reboot to the TV). For what it's worth, I am able to stream MP3s from the NAS to the TV using TwonkyServer for hours at a time with no problems.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Problem streaming photos to Samsung PN63C590 TV

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue May 03, 2011 12:42 am

Sounds like there might be a memory leak in the media player built into your TV. I would suspect this problem will be fixed by a Samsung firmware update.

Since most TVs use different software for pushing and pulling media, you might want to try whichever method you aren't doing now. We're using Samsung's 2009 and 2010 TVs are our trade shows and they play for hours without this type of problem. The only way I've ever been able to crash them is when I push some YouTube videos to them.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/