Limit access by IP

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
Womble99
AV Hardware:WD TV Live
Limit access by IP

Post by Womble99 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 am

Hi all,

I have an interesting question about limiting access to content based on IP. I am currently running Twonky, to feed 1 PS3, 1 WDTVlive and an LG PVR.

The problem I have is that I would like to limit the content available to the LG PVR as it is in the kids (primary school age) lounge room and they don't need to see the M rated or higher movies on the server. All content is separated into folders based on content but I can't lock out the kids PVR from accessing everything that is available to the device.

Is there a way to filter? Or is it possible to run multiple Twonky servers and limit by IP? Or maybe another option that might help?

cheers,

Womble

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Limit access by IP

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:54 pm

TwonkyServer doesn't support parental restrictions today, however this is a very common feature request which we've talked about adding in a future release.

There might be a clever way to do this today that I am unaware of. Hopefully one of the other forum users here has a suggestion for you.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Womble99

Post by Womble99 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:14 pm

It is a shame that these type of features are not available in Twonky :cry:

So far as I can tell I can't do IP filtering nor content filtering, so I may be forced to go back to using TVersity instead as at least with that i can filter by IP and run a second server with only children's content :x

Womble99

Post by Womble99 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Is it possible to run more than one instance of Twonky on the same machine?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:15 am

It may be possible, but I would expect you'd have problems with multiple servers accessing the same .ini file.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

riethmueller
AV Hardware:Twonky on XP + separate fileserver
Synology DS508
Roku M400
Roku M1000; 2xRoku 1001
Pure Sensia
Pure Evoke
Philips WAC7000
Philips WAS7000
Phillips WAK3300

Post by riethmueller » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 am

Womble99 wrote:It is a shame that these type of features are not available in Twonky :cry:

So far as I can tell I can't do IP filtering nor content filtering, so I may be forced to go back to using TVersity instead as at least with that i can filter by IP and run a second server with only children's content :x
That is the solution I use. I've two server one in my NAS and the other is Twonky. The first pointed to the childfriendly (the youngest defines the age rules) contend the second (twonky) pointed as an addon to the rest.
With twonky I limit the media devices which can have contact to the server.

/Tom
Twonky Server (6.0.38) on XP + separate fileserver (Synology DS508); Roku M400; Roku M1000; 2xRoku 1001; Pure Sensia; Pure Evoke; Philips WAC7000; Philips WAS7000; Phillips WAK3300

DickyDoDah!
AV Hardware:Twonky Server 4.4.18
WDTV Live X 2 running WDLXTV firmware
Philips SLA5520
Samsung LE40C580 TV
Android 2.2 Tablet

Post by DickyDoDah! » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Hi,
There is an excellent guide to running more than one instance of Twonky here:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ces#p34595

I used a similar method to have some parental control a few years back with version 4 of Twonky.

I've just tried this solution and it seems to do what you want. As my son is now 21 I don't bother anymore!!

If you set one server up with all your media shared and the other with just the kids stuff on it you can then use the media receivers page to stop the kids accessing the "adult" server by taking the tick out of the box. They can still see the server on the network but can't access anything. I believe that this access restriction is by MAC address which is better than IP addressing as it cannot be changed . I would reccomend taking the tick out of the "Enable sharing for new media receivers automatically" box on the "Adult" server as well for full control.