TMS 6.0.30 does not display cover art from folder.jpg

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
sba
AV Hardware:Server : TwonkyMedia 6.0.30 qkpg build running on QNAP TS-109II
Clients : Noxio Audio 1, Yamaha RX-V1067 AV receiver, Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray player
TMS 6.0.30 does not display cover art from folder.jpg

Post by sba » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi,

I'm running 6.0.30 on QNAP TS-109II (qpkg distribution).

On my Yamaha RXV-1067 AV receiver, the cover art (I have a folder.jpg in every folder) is no longer displayed (used to work with 4.4.17), except for very few folders. For most folders I get a "placeholder" picture (grey square with music notes).

Any clue?

Thx in advance for your help,

Best regards,

Stéphane.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: TMS 6.0.30 does not display cover art from folder.jpg

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Please go to the TwonkyServer media browser and see if album art appears there. If it doesn't I may ask you to send me a sample folder for testing purposes. All I need is a single song (track 1) and the JPEG.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

sba
Clients : Noxio Audio 1, Yamaha RX-V1067 AV receiver, Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray player

Post by sba » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:10 am

Hi Rick,

Thx for getting back to me.

Indeed, in the media browser I also get the placeholder bitmap.

How do I send you the files?
TMM_Product_Manager wrote:Please go to the TwonkyServer media browser and see if album art appears there. If it doesn't I may ask you to send me a sample folder for testing purposes. All I need is a single song (track 1) and the JPEG.

- Rick

bernd
AV Hardware:QNPA NAS TS-210

Post by bernd » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi Rick,

I have the very same problem like Stephan. No album covers except for a few albums (although I used the same method "Folder.jpg" in the folder for all my albums). As Stephan says also in the TwonkyServer media browser no album art (except the same few ones) appears. This is the same for version 6.0.30 and 6.0.33.

So, the same question from me: How can I send you something to have you look into this?

Thanks,
Bernd

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:19 pm

sba. Given that you're using a Linux platform, you should rename all your "folder.jpg" files to "Folder.jpg"

Bernd, yours could be a different issues, as you mention 'Folder.jpg"...

Anyways, with version 6, going against all user friendliness 'standards', PV coders decided to make this case sensative (in terms of code).

sba

Post by sba » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:09 am

Well (with my professional developer hat one) I definitely don't think this was a wise move.

True, my NAS, as many others, is Linux-based, but it is, as the NAS concept implies, a server, to which only Windows clients are hooked. And I expect that this is the most frequent situation at customers.

Windows is case-preserving, but case-insensitive. So it's very uncommon, and annoying, that one needs to pay attention to case.

Furthermore, renaming a file by just changing the case typically doesn't work on Windows, unless you're using special tools or tricks.

I'll check whether this does solve the problem, but you should file a change request so that the old behavior is brought back, or at least that it be made configurable.

Thx anyway for your help.

Best regards,

Stéphane.
edrikk wrote:sba. Given that you're using a Linux platform, you should rename all your "folder.jpg" files to "Folder.jpg"

Bernd, yours could be a different issues, as you mention 'Folder.jpg"...

Anyways, with version 6, going against all user friendliness 'standards', PV coders decided to make this case sensative (in terms of code).

sba

Post by sba » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Hi Rick,

Renaming works -- for my Yamaha AV Receiver, that is, for some reason the Twonky Media Browser still displays the placeholder pictures (need to restart the server? rebuild the database?)

Other users might be interested in the following PowerShell script I used to automate the renaming process:

Code: Select all

# set $basedir to the root of your music tree
Get-ChildItem -Recurse $basedir -Filter folder.jpg | Where-Object -FilterScript { $_ -match "(?-i)folder" } | % { 
        $newname = ($_.FullName -replace 'folder\.jpg', 'Folder.jpg')
        Write-Host "Renaming '$($_.FullName)' to '$newname'"
        Move-Item -LiteralPath $_.FullName -Destination  $newname 
        if (!$?)
        {
            Write-Error "Failed"
        }
    }
HTH

Best regards,

Stéphane.
edrikk wrote:sba. Given that you're using a Linux platform, you should rename all your "folder.jpg" files to "Folder.jpg"

bernd
AV Hardware:QNPA NAS TS-210

Post by bernd » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Rick,

I have obviously a different problem, because all my files use upper case for "Folder.jpg". If it is of any help to find out the issue: with release 6.0.33 the Media Browser now shows a question mark sign for the album covers that do not display. It's reallly annoying and I would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
Bernd

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Please retest with TS 6.0.34. If you still have problems, please let me know and I will try and create a bug report for this.
- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/