Help with directories

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
geeewocka
AV Hardware:Twonkymedia Server
Help with directories

Post by geeewocka » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 pm

Just bought the WD My Book World Edition HDD which comes with what seems like an old or scaled back version of the media server.

I've attached a separate HDD via the usb connection which I'm using as the storage space until it's full before starting to fill the new unit.

I've setup so I can stream via our PS3 & figured out how to view the files from the USB connected HDD however the directory structure from the hard drive is lost.

It displays ALL media files in one folder under Music or Video. The music I'm not concerned about however the video files should be arranged into TV/Movies/Music videos etc as per the HDD's folder structure.

Can someone please help me so there is some form of order, it takes awhile to scroll through to find what you actually want to watch!

**edit the copy of the software is embedded into the HDD

jimpf
AV Hardware:PS3, Xbox360, Zyxel DMA1000, Freecom Musicpal

Re: Help with directories

Post by jimpf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:39 am

Hi geeewocka,

You mention that you're using an attached USB drive for your content.

I was wondering if you are using the "browse by folder" option on the PS3 when you are navigating through your content. This is probably the reason why everything is appearing into one main folder if it is coming from a USB drive.

Is your content on the USB drive segmented into separate folders or do you have all of your content in one main folder?

The TwonkyServer is being pointed to your USB drive and indexing from the root location, most likely.
This is why everything is being listed into one big folder. If your content were hosted directly on the MyBook World device they have it pre-configured to host your media (Photos, Videos, Music ) in separate locations, which should alleviate this problem.

Sorry I can be of more help. --Jim

geeewocka

Post by geeewocka » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, the media on the HDD is in seperate folders

root > movies > title folder
root > tv eps > show > season

Twonky is taking out the folder structure and it displays the same when you view the twonky media browser on PC, not just the PS3

so the current structure it's showing is
My Book World
-music
-photos
-videos
--all videos/by date/folder/year/playlists
---all video files & folder names

It should be appearing as
-videos
--by folder
---tv eps/movies/music vids
----movie files for selected folder

Hope that make sense

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:38 pm

What you are seeing is what I would expect for the Classic Media View (I think it was called Default or something like that in the 5.x Twonky versions).

What view is configured for your PS3 in TwonkyServer? (Go to the Twonky config page on the My Book and click Media Receivers.)

If you want folders then select the By Folder view. (I think this was available in the Twonky 5.x versions)

geeewocka

Post by geeewocka » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

This still leaves the structure the same, only removes the option of by date/ipod etc

All video files and folders in one long list. Not broken into movie/tv folders

parnott

Post by parnott » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:30 pm

Have you configured Twonky on your My Book to point to specific directories for specific media types on the Sharing page?

What is shown when you select My Book World>Video>By Folder from the PS3 menu?

Unless the PS3 is doing something strange, once you select By Folder you should see your folder structure.

PS. I don't think you can stop music and pictures options showing up, as I understand it this is a limitation of the PS3.

geeewocka

Post by geeewocka » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:05 am

This is what shows up when you go through Twonky > Video > By Folder

http://www.dbedford.com/twonkyview.jpg

Sharing config

http://www.dbedford.com/twonkyshare.jpg

parnott

Post by parnott » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:30 am

Well I am not sure what to suggest now.

Your By Folder list looks like what I would expect from the All Video list. Definitely not what a normal By Folder list looks like. My Video>By Folder view just shows-
- Movies
- TV Shows

Just exactly as I have the directories.

Is it possible that WD modified the way the By Folder list is displayed? You might want to go over and ask on the WD forums- http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Wor ... /mbw_world

Maybe you could also get some tips about upgrading to a newer version of Twonky.

Your problem is very puzzeling, and am sorry I cannot provide more help.

geeewocka

Post by geeewocka » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 am

Yeh I think it may have something to do with the USB extension being used. It's an NTFS format so different from the WD file system.

Thanks for your help

jof
AV Hardware:Pure Siesta Flow

Post by jof » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

geeewocka wrote: Thanks for the reply, the media on the HDD is in seperate folders

root > movies > title folder
root > tv eps > show > season

Twonky is taking out the folder structure...
For each folder in "Content Locations", Twonky will make that your "Root" so all "Content Locations" will be merged into one flat structure.
To see the folders "TV Eps" and "Movies", you would need to either:
1) Make your "Content Location" = "\usb1-1 share1" - not ideal as it shows all folders under this folder, not just the two you want.
2) Move the "TV Eps" and "Movies" folders under another folder, e.g. MoviesRoot\TV Eps and MoviesRoot\Movies, then make "Content Location" = "\usb1-1 share1\MoviesRoot".
3) Run multiple instances with custom Navtree's - See http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8443 and http://twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9408

It would be nice if the "Content Locations" showed up separately instead of being merged (although there may be instances where you'd want them to be merged, so a "merge" tick box would also be good).

geeewocka

Post by geeewocka » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:33 pm

Looks like number 2 worked...thank's heaps :)

A LOT easier to browse through now