TwonkyServer 6.0.34 on Windows keeps stalling / stopping

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
jarvthelegend
AV Hardware:Server: Windows Home Server (2003)
Client: PS3 client
TwonkyServer 6.0.34 on Windows keeps stalling / stopping

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi,

I've been using TwonkyServer for a good year or so, and have recently got around to upgrading to the latest version, hoping it would fix a few of the minor niggles.

Instead, the service seems far less stable. System details are posted below ... please note that the ONLY thing that has changed is the version of TwonkyServer.

Problem:
Server boots, Twonky Service is running and accessible via the web interface on any laptop on the network, and via the PS3 client. The service scans and catalogues all files. After X period of time, the service is no longer accesible on the network. I can access other web sites on the server, but not the TwonkyServer page. Even on the server console, I cannot access the TwonkyServer page (Localhost:9000). By accessing the Services applet, I can stop and restart the TwonkyServer service. This resolves the issue, but it means that it has to catalogue all the files again which can take a good hour or so.

Anyone able to offer any insight? I've just enabled logging to see what that may provide.

I haven't yet done a database rebuild, but with it rescanning from "zero items" would that be rebuilding the database?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

TwonkyMedia version
Version: 6.0.34
Cache memory: 33030 KB
Last database change: 21:41:53

Server hardware
VIA C7 1.8GHz Processor
3.25 GB usable RAM (4GB installed, but 32 bit os)
4 x 1.5TB Hard disks (2 disks RAID 1 - OS. 2 disks in WHS pool)

Operating System
Windows Home Server (2003)

If you are running as a system service (Windows only)
Yes, managed via Windows Console ... rather than the awful WHS admin app!

Client(s) and their software version
PS3, latest Firmware

Type(s) of media you are having problems with
Not a media issue, a general issue with TwonkyServer

How many files you have in your database
Music tracks: 43408
Photos: 7426
Videos: 3847

Network type (Wired/Wireless)
Wired - Using Devolo HomePlug 200+AV adaptors

Other items on your network (Router make/model for example)
Netgear DG834N Router
Devolo HomePlug 200+ AV adaptors (current throughput rate between plugs 150Mbps)

jarvthelegend

Re: TwonkyServer 6.0.34 on Windows keeps stalling / stopping

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Update, seems to still be running finding music ...

Cache memory: 65958 KB
Last database change: 22:12:34
Music tracks: 69226

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Seems to have stopped incrementing now :

Cache memory: 88414 KB
Last database change: 23:16:11
Music tracks: 78671

Shockmaindave
AV Hardware:Windows Vista
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:29 pm

Mr. Thelegend,
You're not alone. My recent thread "Twonky Becomes Unreachable" seems to describe a similar situation. I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit and had the same problem with 6.0.32.

I hope this is enough to give Rick some insight to come up with a cure.

The only troubleshooting that I've gotten to work so far was sitting down to report this problem on this forum last week. My making up my mind to do so kept the server running for about a day. I figure that's the same circuitry that keep my car from squeaking when I bring it in to the mechanic. Other than that one time, I can't keep the thing running for three hours.

(Shockmain)Dave

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm just taking a look at your thread : http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9915

It seems you have exactly the same problem as I did. In fact my old version worked so well that it never needed touching. Hmmm wonder if I can downgrade, I've still got the install exe here.

I'm happy to do any fault finding though, and quite happy with most Windows Server admin tasks.

Cheers
Tom (Jarv, not quite so legendary!)

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:52 am

Could you retest with TwonkyServer 6.0.36? If things go according to plan, it should be posted here by mid August. If it doesn't work with that, I'll try to create a bug report for this.

Obviously if enough other users are seeing this, I'll create one earlier. But so far, I haven't seen other complaints about this.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 am

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the swift reply. Hope things are well in sunny San Diego, I was in Chula Vista a few years back.

Sure, I'm happy to give 6.0.36 a go ... whenever the download is available.

One thing I hadn't done was "rebuild database", so I'm doing that now, but don't expect it to resolve this issue.

Best Regards
Tom

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm

San Diego is nice. :D

- Rick

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Rick,
Would you like either of us to test out a beta? I'd be happy to help if you need it.
Dave.

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Shockmaindave wrote:Rick,
Would you like either of us to test out a beta? I'd be happy to help if you need it.
Dave.

Same here ... it's still stopping/halting on a daily basis.

I'll see if the logfile produces anything tangible.

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm

Ok I have the logfile now for a few weeks worth.

Want me to send it to you Rick? I take it that there is sensitive information in there, which shouldn't be posted.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for the beta offers. I'm not involved in the Beta program for the server, but they will post a link in the Beta section of this forum if they want additional testers.

Send your log to tmm-beta@pv.com along with a description of the problem that you are having. Thanks.

- Rick

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:04 am

Jarv,
Did 6.0.36 fix this for you on WHS?
I didn't work for me on Win 7 64.

Rick,
What level logging do I need to use in order to catch this problem?
All I've seen so far is something that looks like a bunch of restarts.

Cheers to you both.
(Shockmain) Dave

jarvthelegend

Post by jarvthelegend » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:24 am

I have to admit, that I haven't tried it yet. I downgraded and it's working fine.

I may have chance to try it later and let you know.

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Downgraded to what version?
That might be a clue that helps Twonky to fix it.
I don't remember it under Twonky .30, but if you've got better information, please let me know!

Dave

garpinc

Post by garpinc » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm having same issue on nslu2.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I did not get any logs. Did you send them? Maybe they were too big. It's best to keep the logs as short as possible. Enable logging and then do what you need to recreate the problem. Then send it to me.

As soon as I can get a few logs, we can create a ticket for this.

- Rick

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Rick,
What level of logging must be enabled to catch the problem? I've got it set to 4-error. Do you need 5-critical?
As an aside, the "how to switch on logging" post is locked and has not been updated to version 6.

I'll let it run for a couple of days to get a few examples of the disappearances and then get it to you.
I'll also try to hunt down some previous versions to see if they have the same problem.
Thanks for your help.

Dave

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 pm

The good news is that they have opened a bug report on this issue (DLNA-5053). The bad news is that they have been unable to reproduce this so far. If anyone can provide steps how to cause this issue, that would be very helpful. A server log may help as well.

A simple server log is fine. Here are some old instructions which should still work. Can you send me the link to the locked logging post?

1. Open your browser and go to the server settings page. This is done by typing the following into the address bar of your web browser: http://localhost:9000/config
2. Click on the "Maintenance" link
3. Check the "Logging" check box.
4. Press "Save Changes"
5. Press "Clear Logs" (To purge any old data)
6. Press "Restart Server"
7. Now do whatever caused the problem you are reporting.
8. Now go back to the server settings page and click on the "Maintenance" link again.
9. Then click on the “View log file” button.
10. A webpage will appear in your browser. Save the webpage as a .txt file.
11. Zip up the saved .txt file and send it to: tmm-beta@pv.com along with a description of your problem.

- Rick

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:28 am

Rick,
I am sending the e-mail with the description.

After reading backwards through the log and seeing SSDP: byebye, I set disablelocalssdp to 1. So far, the program has run for four hours without disappearing. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's pretty significant for me lately.
[i]
[Edit: disablelocalssdp=1 did not end up fixing the problem.][/i]

I wasn't able to find any explanation for what that does, though, or why it became a problem since I moved to Windows 7 and 6.0.34, which was about the same time. I'm hoping that someone else who is having the problem can try it out and see if they have any luck with doing the same thing.

Dave
Last edited by Shockmaindave on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:36 am

The locked logging post is at
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4473

I can't believe that I missed such an easy and obvious solution. I was trying to set up logging through the config file.

Dave

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 pm

Glad to see that things appear to be running a little better for you now.

If any of the others are still having problems with their servers stopping, please generate a log as described here.

/<PATH TO TWONKY>/twonkymedia -logfile /<PATH TO FOLDER>/log-debug.txt -v 8191 -vlevel 0

Although these instructions are for a Windows XP PC, I think you'll be able to adapt them for your OS easily.

1. Go the start then run and type "cmd" and hit return.
2. Type cd \Program Files\TwonkyMedia
3. Type "c:\Program Files\TwonkyMedia\twonkymediaserver.exe" -logfile c:\tslog.txt -v 8191 -vlevel 0
4. After a few minutes have elapsed press "Ctrl"+"Break"
5. Locate the log at c:\tslog.txt and send it to tmm-beta@pv.com.

This enables logging on debug level in all modules. Logs created this way will grow very fast.

Please also note: TwonkyServer has an inbuilt log-ration mechanism making sure that the log file will only grow to a maximum of 1 MB. If this limit is reached, the log is renamed and a new log is started. TS only keeps the last 5 of these logs. With the above log settings TS will most likely start deleting old log data after a couple of minutes. For long running tests, we can disable this mechanism. Users doing this should be aware that the log then grows until the all available disc space is used.

To disable the mechanism, simply start TS with the –logfile command line property giving a non-standard file name. For example:

/<PATH TO TWONKY>/twonkymedia -logfile /<PATH TO FOLDER>/tslog.txt -v 8191 -vlevel 0

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Here is the feedback I received about the original log which was sent in:
From the log I can see that TwonkyServer restarts several times (probably due to crash)
There are several reasons why this could be happening. Here some things to try:

1. There are sometimes issues when using a network share as a shared folder (Jarvoserver...).. I suggest they try sharing local content and see if that works better.

2. There could be corrupted content which is causing the server to crash. I suggest start by sharing only a small amount of content set of MP3s and JPEGs and see if server works better. Video files are more likely than other files to be correupted.Although the file scanner is supposed to ignore these types of files, sometimes it crashed when it's trying to scan them.

Let me know if either of these suggestions helps. We have been unable to reproduce this issue so far. More logs or steps to reproduce might help.

- Rick

vicdiaz
AV Hardware:Linn Akurate DS, XBox 360, Wii, D-Link DNS-323, Windows 7 PC

Re: TwonkyServer 6.0.34/36 on Windows keeps stalling / stopp

Post by vicdiaz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi,

I had this same issue with 6.0.32, 6.0.34 and 6.0.36, every day I had to restart the service because it just hung up. Well, last night I revisited my configuration and unchecked all boxes in the 'Media Feeds' screen since I don't use any of these and there are many of them checked by default.

Today when I got back from the office checked the service and for my surprise TwonkyServer has not hung up at all!

Will update again tomorrow. :D

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:21 am

Hi Vic

I've not had that happen; most odd. I have Twonky 6.0.34 running on a Qnap TS-659 and although it's the Qnap specific version (which doesn't use a license key and thus doesn't have the online feeds) I have added the two media fusion files and a license to enable the internet radio feature. It's been running for weeks now and I've not noticed any problems. Of course, it could have crashed and restarted at night, so I'll keep an eye on the server up-time figures to check for that going forwards. Unfortunately, I rebooted the NAS yesterday so it's only showing 14 hours at the moment.

All the best
Bri

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi Bri!!!!

Glad to report that the Twonkyserver process has not gone AWOL!!! It seems the issue is isolated to Windoze systems. I will install it on my DNS-323 and see how it behaves.

Vic

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Vic

Hope you're well and having fun! I've just been crawling about under the floor with long lengths of Linn 'Silver' cable clamped between my teeth; what a difference it's made to my 350A's!!

As to your disappearing Twonky server issue, I reckon it's just that lovely warm climate you enjoy is overheating your CPU; try dunking your PC in the swimming pool and see if it makes Windows work better. :)

Bri

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 am

Hi,

That won't make it.... :mrgreen:

BTW found out that the process was hung up again...... :shock: , but figured out it happens after waking up the PC from sleep mode.

Reading the forum it seems there are a number of users complaining about this same issue. BTW, system is Windows 7 SP1 and TMS 6.0.36.

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:44 am

Hi Vic

I'll test 6.0.36 on Windows XP SP3, but I'm not sure about enabling disk spin down as the last time I tried that it kicked off a RAID rebuild (like my NAS's, I use a RAID set in my PC). Of course, i guess the Twonky problem could also be a Win7 only issue, so it would be good if someone else here (with a normal XP PC) could try it with disk hibernation enabled. I'm avoiding Win7 as I dislike the Win7/Vista interface (I can never find how to get at the settings when I've to fix one of these wretched new versions). XP SP3 still has nearly 3 years MS updates support, so thankfully there's no immediate reason foe me to change anything; I'll wait to see what Win8 brings to the party.

Bri

PS Are you still planning to visit Scotland (or have I got that wrong, or have you been and gone)? If so, let me know if you'd fancy a beer whilst here (PM me either here or on the Linn forum) :D

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Bri,

I was in the UK last July but did not visit Scotland, wife and kids had other plans for sites to visit. Ended up 5 days in a nice cottage northwest of Oxford and then two rainy days in London before heading back home. Anyway, driving in the wrong :mrgreen: side of the road is always a religious experience and something I always look forward to do when I visit the UK so there will be a next time!

Briain
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am

Well, it would only truly be a religious experience if you were driving on Islay (and thus passing the various temples of fine whisky)! Sorry you are not heading over. I saw someone asking about hotels in Edinburgh (on the Linn forum) and for some reason I thought it was yourself, but it was a while back and my memory is shot to bits (due to fine whisky). :)

vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 am

It was me, but there wa a change of plans one week before the trip... :(

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Update:

Someone is testing this now.

Started stress test:
Run TS6.0.37 with contents about (Music: 78671, Photos: 7426, Videos: 3847), connected to a upnp client that will play video files in 3 days staright.
The shared contents will also have corrupted video and audio files.
The Windows PC will have hibernation set within 2 hours.

I'll let you know if they can reproduce this.

- Rick

Shockmaindave
2 Playstation 3's
1 Retired DSM-320

Post by Shockmaindave » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:41 am

Rick,
I'm glad you're looking into this, but the Twonky server doesn't become available while it's streaming; it's only after it's been sitting dormant for a while.

Is the test PC a Windows 7 machine? That seems to be a common denominator.

Again, I'm glad you're checking this out. I want to help if I can.

(Shockmain)Dave

JackHi
AV Hardware:Win XP SP3 Twonky 6.0.34
Panasonic Viera
Onkyo TX NR 807
Pure Siesta Flow
Nokia N900

Post by JackHi » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:33 pm

I have started to have similar problem with my server recently. It is for both streaming music(MP3) and video (XVid in avi container).

Streamed contents seem to work ok for 20-30 seconds after which I'm getting message "Please wait" on my TV, during which the picture freezes. Then this is followed by "Cannot read file". After that nothing can be played for some time - even though the list of films still appears. I guess the server is restarting. It recovers by itself afterwards only to freeze again :(

I run my Twonky 6.0.34 on XP SP3 PC with files on the USB HD. Never had any problems during almost 2 years I have this set up watching films on my Panasonic Viera or listening to music via Onkyo TX NR807.
All running through wired network via D-Link DIR655 router and D-Link Switch.

I have tried 6.0.37 and getting the same result :(