WD My Book World Edition II – corrupted tree view

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
aoshea
AV Hardware:WD Mybook World Edition II
Sony KDL-40WE5
Sony KDL-32W5500
Sony PS3
WD My Book World Edition II – corrupted tree view

Post by aoshea » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

Hello Twonky Media Forum guru’s.
I have an issue with Twonky Media server v5.1.9 on my WD My Book World Edition II. Where if I view music lists from either of my TV’s (Sony Bravia’s W series) that the tree view can get corrupted (generally after scrolling down a long list). For example the “albums” or “playlists” would get duplicate several times in the menu, and each time I either need to restart the server or rebuild the database (about 45 mins).
I’m using the “Finished 5_1 Trees.zip” from the QNAP forum as the default (shipped) view doesn’t work with large music collections (I have 16,000+ MP3’s).
Are there any tweaks I can do, such as allocate a larger amount of memory to twonky in the start up to prevent this (change the media receiver type for the TV's) ? … I know the WD box itself isn’t the greatest, but don’t have enough spare money to buy a QNAP 259 Pro with holiday season looming.
Any help or assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks Adrian.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: WD My Book World Edition II – corrupted tree view

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm checking to see if this is a known issue with TS 5.1.9. Also I've asked if we know if WD be doing an update soon. I'm sure this doesn't occur with TS 6.0.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

aoshea
Sony KDL-40WE5
Sony KDL-32W5500
Sony PS3

Post by aoshea » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Many thanks Rick, much appreciated.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Here is the response I received:

1. As far as we know WD is not planning to upgrade this product to TS 6.0.

2. 16,000 songs is not what we consider to be a large library for a PC or NAS. We are regularly testing TwonkyServer with 100,000+ content items.

He noticed that you are referring to a custom build view configuration. That may be one of the problems. Otherwise the memory requirement for 16,000 content items is not that large and should not be of any relevance on a good NAS like the ones that QNAP sells.

- Rick

aoshea
Sony KDL-40WE5
Sony KDL-32W5500
Sony PS3

Post by aoshea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Rick,
think i've cracked it, as done a couple of things today when i had some spare time;
upgraded firmware on sony bravia tele.
upgraded firmware on wd my book world edition II (which meant i lost the custom view)
added back the custom views. but instead of using chmod 775 *.xml, made them read and execute only.
it now seems stable.
thanks adrian

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 pm

That's great to hear! :D

Thank you for letting us know.

- Rick

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 am

Hi

If that's one of mine, you'd likely be better to use my latest trees as they have both the basic PV containers and the custom ones (the earlier trees only had the custom containers). I added these to make them compatible with certain devices and control points (like Songbook 11) that don't actually use the trees, but instead rely on these fundamental containers being present. Though they are Twonky 6.0 trees, they work fine in Twonky 5.1 (it just ignores the Twonky 6 specific part).

It's not just TMS 5.1; as per my other post, this also happened to someone I know who was using an Olive 4HD (Twonky 5.1) and someone an Arcam (Twonky 6.0) with my current custom trees (the ones that have basic versions of all the standard Twonky containers as well as my custom ones). The chap with the Arcam was using a Qnap with Twonky 6.0 and we tried a good few things, but we couldn't fathom out how a media streamer could upset the Twonky menus; it's most odd and not something I've just been able to replicate here. Interesting to know that the permissions might be a solution; well spotted! :)

Maybe an issue for PV staff to ponder:

Irrespective of the permissions fix, has this possibly identified a minor vulnerability that PV should maybe look at more closely? I know it only happens under unusual circumstances (custom trees and only a couple of media renderers) but that it can happen at all maybe means something is causing database corruption; I'd have thought a renderer just shouldn't be able to do that. Could it be a really obscure vulnerability triggered through the renderer inadvertently gaining inappropriate access to the trees or database via a back door (maybe through something like the Twonky aggregation feature)? That's just a totally wild guess, but whatever is causing it to happen, I'd assume it could maybe be a useful hole to plug in case it has any other unexpected consequences.

Bri

aoshea
Sony KDL-40WE5
Sony KDL-32W5500
Sony PS3

Post by aoshea » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Many thanks Brian for responding, it is difficult to know if i originally "fat fingered" the permissions when I first applied the custom tree view, but surprised after doing the WD MY WE II firmware update that the permission were still “full rights”, for information, below is the permissions before and after.

after firmware upgrade;
/twonky/resources/views # ls -l
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1188 Oct 19 2010 advanced.view.xml
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1156 Oct 19 2010 classified.view.xml
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 375 Oct 19 2010 folder.view.xml
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 911 Oct 19 2010 ipodlike.view.xml
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 976 Oct 19 2010 simple.view.xml
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 18815 Oct 19 2010 view-definitions.xml
/twonky/resources/views #

after placing new views on (did NOT use chmod 775 *.xml this time);
/ # cd twonky/resources/views/
/twonky/resources/views # ls -l
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1120 Sep 22 19:34 advanced.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1180 Sep 22 19:34 classified.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 375 Sep 22 19:34 folder.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1084 Sep 22 19:34 ipodlike.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 748 Sep 22 19:34 mobile.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 301 Sep 22 19:34 playlists.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 1087 Sep 22 19:34 simple.view.xml
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 23529 Sep 22 19:34 view-definitions.xml
/twonky/resources/views #

I'll try and have a look at your newer custom tree when I get some spare time.

Thanks again, regards, Adrian

aoshea
Sony KDL-40WE5
Sony KDL-32W5500
Sony PS3

Post by aoshea » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi Brian,
if you could point me in the direction of your next TM6 custom tree it would really be appreciated. I'm happy to trial them now that my NAS is completely stable again.
thanks in advance.
regards adrian

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi

I've no plan to change them other than to add back the missing video/albums container that mysteriously vanished (in other words, that I accidentally deleted) but the current ones can still be downloaded from the below links:

Album Artist version: click here (Aug 2011)
Artists only version: click here (Aug 2011)

Bri :)