TwonkyServer with Android client

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
john.glasson
AV Hardware:Server: Western Digital My Book World Edition White Light
Clients: Zyxel DMA1000, Philips Streamium 1100, Netgear MP101, Pocket Player on WM5 PDA
TwonkyServer with Android client

Post by john.glasson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 pm

I've encountered a rather strange problem with playing WMA files from TwonkyServer to an Android client over Wi-Fi.

After approx 2 min 20 sec playback stops.

I've run the following checks:
-play same file using another uPnP client on Android: same problem
-play same file using TwonkyMobile Server from local SD card storage: works fine
-play same file using TwonkyMobile as a control point for TwonkyServer to another Renderer: works fine
-play same file from TwonkyServer to another client (a windows laptop) also over Wi-Fi: works fine

TwonkyServer is running on a WD MBWE2; but I've tried it running on an XP PC - same problem. I've tried different version of TwonlyServer - same problem. The Android device is a Motorola Milestone (same as Droid) running Android 2.1

Can anyone in Twonky support help with this one? Has anyone else come across the same problem?

John Glasson

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: TwonkyServer with Android client

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Sounds to me like a power management issue when your mobile device goes into stand-by. When this happens every mobile controller including Twonky Mobile stops playback after the currently playing song is finished.

A workaround to this problem is to plug your mobile device into the wall and prevent it from going to sleep.

On most Android devices you can stop the phone from sleeping (and turning the display off) by going into Sounds & Display Settings (or Display Settings) -> and turning the Screen Timeout off.

We have a better solution to this problem that involves our Network Media Controller, but that solution hasn't been fully deployed on mobile devices yet. In the future, when you start playback on a mobile device running Twonky Mobile and you have TwonkyServer 6.x running on your network, it will hand off the queue automatically to the non-mobile 6.x server. This way playback will never stop when your phone goes to sleep.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

john.glasson
Clients: Zyxel DMA1000, Philips Streamium 1100, Netgear MP101, Pocket Player on WM5 PDA

Post by john.glasson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't think it's a power management problem: I've tried the client plugged in to a wall plug (as in the thread on this subject), and besides the display shows no sign of switching off. The player just freezes at around 2 mins 20 secs. It's not just TwonkyMobile - same with 'aMediaControl' player. Looks to me like it might be a codec problem - presumably you use whatever is supplied by Android?

John G

john.glasson

Re: TwonkyServer with Motorola Android client

Post by john.glasson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:16 am

I've now run further tests:

-tried TVersity server instead of TwonkyMedia: exactly the same lock-up after 2 min 20 sec
-tried using a different Wi-Fi access point: same problem

The 'aMedia Control' renderer gives useful feedback (TwonkyMobile should copy!) showing a progress bar for the pre-fetch. With a WMA file it always stops at 2:20; when playback catches up with this position it freezes.

I realise that my earlier comment suggesting this might be a codec problem can't be correct since playback is ok for WMA files stored locally on the SD card. It seems to relate specifically to Wi-Fi connection for WMA playback.

I read on the internet that Motorola don't support WMA - but since locally stored WMA files work fine this seems inconsistent. Very grateful for feedback from other Android users - both Motorola and other devices.

John Glasson

john.glasson

Post by john.glasson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 am

I've run a further test with my Android device on a wired connection (motorola USB networking) to my PC. Exactly the same problem occurs. So it's not a Wi-FI issue and it can't be a codec issue since WMA files stored locally work ok.

I've looked at whether it might be related to uPnP by accessing a WMA file using Samba/CIFS (ES File Explorer) and playing using a non-uPnP player (Android 'Music'). Same problem. So it seems that there's some low-level incompatibility between Android's network service and the WMA file type.

Can any other Android user throw any light on this? Is it specific to Motorola Milestone/Droid products? I've tried Android 2.1 and 2.2 - makes no difference.

John G