[SOLVED] Which iTunes library file should I use?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
eherle
AV Hardware:Sitecom MD-253 NAS with Twonky Media Server 4.4.19
Windows Media Player 11
Sony PS3
[SOLVED] Which iTunes library file should I use?

Post by eherle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:15 am

I recently bought a Sitecom MD-253 NAS with pre-installed Twonky Media Server 4.4.19. I have succesfully imported my music from iTunes into Twonky and it works. However it looks like I am not able to to import the iTunes libray file using the "TwonkyMedia Configuration: External applications" screen. I entered the .itl file as well as the .xml library file, but both do not seem to have any effect. So I have a couple of questions:
1) Which iTunes library file should I select in this screen?
2) Where should I store the iTunes libray file on my NAS?
3) Which functionality will I gain by importing the iTunes library file into the media server?
Last edited by eherle on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

RG1
AV Hardware:Philips Streamium WAC 7500
Philips Streamium WAS 7500
Philips Streamium WAC 6050
Philips Streamium NP 2900

Re: Which iTunes library file should I use?

Post by RG1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi,
1) you should select the xml file (and i think twonky needs the full directory path)
2) you can store the library file wherever twonky can read it (has read permission)
3) twonky will import all media files which are referenced in iTunes library in it's database (you don't need to configure media shares for those files)

eherle
AV Hardware:Sitecom MD-253 NAS with Twonky Media Server 4.4.19
Windows Media Player 11
Sony PS3

Re: Which iTunes library file should I use?

Post by eherle » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Thank you for your clarification. So there are 2 ways to upload your iTunes content to this NAS:
a. Copy your iTunes folders to the /public/Media folder and tell Twonky to look there
b. Use the iTunes xml file to tell Twonky where to look

I am wondering now which method gets me the best results. I suppose the iTunes xml file contains more metadata than the ID3 tags used in method a. So if method b import this additional metadata into Twonky, this would be the best method to use.

Is this true? Is method b superior to method a? Or do both methods deliver the same results?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: [SOLVED] Which iTunes library file should I use?

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:03 pm

According to Christian, iTunes import works best when you use the path that Apple assigns by default. We do not officially support any other approach.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/