How to view videos through my Sony Bravia

godette
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia TV
How to view videos through my Sony Bravia

Post by godette » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:15 am

Hello I have a Sony Bravia CX 520 TV. I have successfully connected it to the home network and it can pick up my Twonky server and the videos I have uploaded to the server. Everything seems to be working beautifully - I find the video I want, select it, and a little green 'play' arrow shows up on my TV screen. When I select 'play' I can see the little circle going round on the TV, which tells me it's loading. And then - nothing. The screen remains blank. No picture, no sound. Just a black screen of death. Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is it the video format that's the problem. These are TV shows I've downloaded off isohunt and they have an .avi coding. Please help!! Thank you!

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: How to view videos through my Sony Bravia

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:49 pm

Sounds to me like a codec issue. Normally in this case you have three options:

1. Transcode your files to MPEG-2 (setup for this isn't easy)
2. Convert your files to MPEG-2 (easy)
3. Purchase a low-cost networked media player like WDTV which can play this format.

Sorry there isn't an easier answer.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

godette
AV Hardware:Sony Bravia TV

Post by godette » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:29 am

hello rickj thanks for replying. I already have a WDTV. just being lazy - sick of having to copy shows into a flash drive first and was hoping for a quick way of accessing my desktop. sigh. how do I convert to mpeg 2. you said it was easy? I have z converter on my mac. maybe that will do it

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 am

I'm not an expert on the best file convertors but my son uses a program called "Format Factory" which seems to work OK. There are probably many others as well.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/