Video on Samsung LA46B650 from DLNA squashed

pab
AV Hardware:Samsung LA46B650
Vista PC with Winfast DTV2000H
Video on Samsung LA46B650 from DLNA squashed

Post by pab » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:03 am

Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having.

We bought a Samsung LA46B650 this week. I'm very happy with it (massive step up from an old 50cm CRT), but I am having a frustrating time with one issue though.

I have a pc with Leadtek DTV2000H tuner in another part of the house. I plan to use that for recording and then playback through the TV via DLNA. I've got the TV seeing the files using TMS, but when I playback the files on the TV they are displaying squashed (horisontally, looks to me like it's standard format rather than widescreen). I haven't been able to find any setting in the TV or TMS that would fix this, even though the files play in the correct format on the PC (eg. using VLC). Any ideas of what I might need to do to get the files playing in the correct aspect ratio?

Thanks.

Peter.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Video on Samsung LA46B650 from DLNA squashed

Post by PeeBee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:08 pm

This isn't a Twonky issue but it is a commonly known and moaned about problem on the Samsung MediaPlay TVs - the TV ignores the 4:3 / 16:9 settings in the media files.

Someone in the AVForums B650 thread has just managed to hack the firmware - it is a Linux core running under the Gnu Public License so it is legal - to make his TV stretch to fill the full screen. So far he has only modded the LExxB650 firmware but the same process should be OK for the LAxxB650. See http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-tele ... st10507452

It just depends on how much you want this problem fixed - if it was this easy for him to do it then how come Samsung haven't fixed it yet? Plenty of people are moaning about it on the CNet Samsung forum (mainly about the US LNxxB650 series).

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)