MKV file format, Samsung, Twonky and pain!

THEMike
AV Hardware:MSS
MKV file format, Samsung, Twonky and pain!

Post by THEMike » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm

OK, where to start?

I have a Samsung LE46B650 TV and have just updated the firmware to the latest.

I have a Maxtor Shared Storage Plus running Firmware 2.6.2-openmss1-rc2 plus TwonkyVision 4.4.18

I have edited the file:
/shares/mss-hdd/__twonkyvision/resources/clients.db

To add the suggested:

Code: Select all

NA:Samsung HDTV
DD:Samsung HDTV
DB:Fix
XM:DNLA15
XM:DATETIME
XM:FORCE_DURATION
XM:FORCE_4TH_FIELD
HP:chunked
MT:mpeg,mpeg2,vdr,spts,tp,ts,avi,divx,mkv video/mpeg
MT:m4a audio/mp4
AV:no-m3
And set the client setting for the MAC address of my TV to the Samsung HDTV entry.

And I still get file not supported type on the Samsung TV when trying to play an MKV file via Twonky (though if I plug the same file in on a USB drive, it works fine) and I can't pause DivX AVI files (which is REALLY annoying).

I've tried upgrading to 5.1.3 and 5.1.2, neither of which will install and run on my NAS for some reason I never managed to solve, so I rolled back to 4.4.18 which just works. Other than the MKV and pause issue that is.

I've even tried renaming the MKV to MP4 because some thread on here made me think that that would be worth trying, but MP4 doesn't even LIST in the Web Browse interface despite the files being exactly where they were before with a different extension (and yes, I have rescanned to be sure).

Driving me batty.

Any suggestions?

I'm considering getting a Western Digital MyBook World Edition, I have a theory it's TwonkyVision on there? Is this correct? Is it upgradeable to latest or pre-installed with latest? Or is it a special bespoke build? I don't want to switch to that and find it's a compatibility issue between Twonky and Samsung and have the SAME problem on a new NAS.

ANY useful help gratefully appreciated!

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: MKV file format, Samsung, Twonky and pain!

Post by DaemonBeetle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Your problem may be because you're running 4.4.18. Certainly running 5.1.x with that change I have no problems on a B650 Samsung (see my other posts on the matter).

I haven't checked whether I can pause DivX files - I'll give it a go and see what happens.

THEMike
AV Hardware:MSS

Re: MKV file format, Samsung, Twonky and pain!

Post by THEMike » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Installed 5.1.2 onto my laptop as a trial, with that fix in place it worked fine on the telly, but with 4.1.18 on the laptop it didn't.

So it's definitely either the wrong fix for the version of twonky, or a general issue with twonky 4.1.18 streaming to samsung telly's that can only be fixed with 5.1.x

Question is, can one edit the clients.db on a mybook?