Sony 2010 LCD TVs mpg problem

armpowered
AV Hardware:Sony KDL-37Ex503, BDP-S370
Sony 2010 LCD TVs mpg problem

Post by armpowered » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi,

I have a Sony KDL-37EX503 and I'm assuming that the following would be true for all 2010 EX models (& NX?).

I've managed to get video playing using Twonky Server 5.1.3 (or 6RC3) by saying that the TV is a PS3 or WD Live, I don't think it worked when setting as Sony Bravia - I assume the profile is too old.

However not all files on my server (Windows XP) appear on the TV. The files are .mpg recordings made from UK Freeview with a DigiTV card and passed through Videoredo.

After some investigation it appears that the files that do work have "MPEG_PS_PAL" in their metadata in the file database, those that don't play don't have this.

Manually adding that "MPEG_PS_PAL" to the metadata in the database and doing a database rebuild makes the files appear on the TV and the play with no problem.

Further investigation shows those files that don't have MPEG_PS_PAL in their database metadata have a (estimated) video bitrate header set by Videoredo to 15Mbps, with some fiddling I can get Videoredo to replace the estimate with one of a lower value and the files then play. However I have a few hundred files, so doing this isn't an easy solution. I'm guessing that the Twonky server assumes that the bitrate is too high for MPEG_PS_PAL so omits that metadata, is it possibly to set Twonky to be less strict in its file type detection and mark all of these files as MPEG_PS_PAL?

TIA

armpowered

Re: Sony 2010 LCD TVs mpg problem

Post by armpowered » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Further investigation shows that it might not be video bit rate that is the issue but total system bitrate or multiplex bitrate, same question, can Twonky be set to ignore this ?

anamorphosa
AV Hardware:WD MyBook Live + TM 5.1.9
LinkSys NSLU2 (Unslung) + TM 4.4.18
Sony Bravia TV KDL-37EX5-3

Post by anamorphosa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you ever get a neat solution to this? This seems to be the same issue that I am having !
(http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9624)

Cheers,

David

Bascy
AV Hardware:ReadyNas DUO - Two Android Phones

Post by Bascy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Still no answer ... and it seems i'm having the same problem with my 37EX500, and not with the 22EX320

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Suggest you analyse your files with mediainfo- http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Post the TEXT output from the analysis.

armpowered

Post by armpowered » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:08 am

(thanks for the pm bascy, sorry can't figure out how to reply !)

No, I never found a solution in Twonky. I record TV using Nebula electronics DigiTV software then top/tail using Videoredo. DigiTV marks files with a bitrate of (I think) 15mbps (theoretical mux rate ?, way more than actual rate) which Videoredo then passes out. Twonky reads this bitrate and marks the files as non compliant in some way, so that they are not seen by the Sony TV.

I've used 2 solutions; use DVDPatcher v1.06 to mark a lower bitrate on the recorded files (just in the header - 8 mbps) then pass top/tail with Videoredo or (what I do now) save from Videoredo as .ts files which don't have issues with bitrate and are made available on the Sony.

I think the problem exists because these bitrates occur in at least 2 forms, not sure of the teminology, only one of which is fixed by setting bitrate when saving with Videoredo.

anamorphosa
AV Hardware:WD MyBook Live + TM 5.1.9
LinkSys NSLU2 (Unslung) + TM 4.4.18
Sony Bravia TV KDL-37EX5-3

Post by anamorphosa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 pm

For what it's worth, I now do something similar as well : I use tsMuxer to remux all my movies into transport stream rather than program streams; lo and behold, twonky finds them and will happily serve them to all sorts of clients.

Cheers,
anamorphosa