Transcoding video files

Duckss
AV Hardware:Samsung PS50C7000 TV
Transcoding video files

Post by Duckss » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:41 pm

I am new at this, so please forgive me if my (hours) of searching forums should have yielded an answer.
I am trying to understand transcoding.
I was under the impression Twonky can transcode (convert?) a video file that a receiving device wouldn't normally be able to play, into a format it can play.
For example, I have a new Samsung PS50C7000 3D TV that does not natively accept .flv files.
Can Twonky transcode these files into something the TV can recognise (eg .avi)?
At the moment the TV doesn't even acknowledge that these files are in the shared directory.
Twonky defaults the receiver as a "Generic Media Receiver", and the pull down list doesn't contain anything better suited so I'm reluctant to change it.

If this can/should work, how do I get it to work?

Thanks,

Duckss.

Duckss
AV Hardware:Samsung PS50C7000 TV

Re: Transcoding video files

Post by Duckss » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:38 pm

Well obviously no-one has any idea what my problem is. Twonky (program and forums) are a Fracking waste of time

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Transcoding video files

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Alternatively, either nobody who read your post could answer it or the answer is available through a simple search of the forum. Possibly even if you'd looked at the web interface when you downloaded the trial you'd have found the answer. Sadly too I have to tell you that you aren't the centre of the universe :shock:

Transcoding video files is very processor intensive. It also doesn't do it live, it does it in the background to the format(s) of your choice. You need ffmpeg installed and you need to edit the file ffmpeg.location to tell your system where to find it.
No longer running Twonky