Why can’t I get my Samsung TV to work with Twonky software?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
Why can’t I get my Samsung TV to work with Twonky software?

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 am

All Samsung DLNA-certified TVs should be able to access media using TwonkyServer. To use Samsung TVs with TwonkyBeam, TwonkyManager or Twonky Mobile for Android, you need to also check the following:

1. First confirm that your Samsung TV works with Twonky software. You can view a list of Samsung TVs that work with Twonky software here: http://www.tinyurl.com/twonkydmrs

Samsung’s 2009 TVs can be externally controlled without any settings changes. Samsung 2010 sometimes need to have the following settings changed before they can be controlled using Twonky software:

How this was done on my TV

1. Press the Content button on your remote control.
2. Use the left/right arrow keys to select ‘AllShare’ and press the enter button. On my remote the Enter button is in the center of the arrow keys.
3. Press the red “A” Setup button on the remote
4. Make sure “Media:” is ON
5. Arrow down to the Media icon and make sure all devices” are “Allowed”.
6. Now press the Content button on the remote again and use the left/right arrow keys to go to “MediaPlay.” Then press the enter key on the remote.
7. Now go to your PC running TwonkyManager or TwonkyBeam and send media to your TV. A message will appear on your TV asking you if you want to allow this. Make sure to do so by agreeing to the on-screen prompt.

Here is how the Samsung manual suggests this is done

1. Use your Samsung handheld remote to navigate here:
Menu > Application > Content View > AllShare and then press ENTER
2. Make sure “Media” is set to “On” by pressing the ENTER key.
3. A warning may appear informing you that media sent from a mobile phone or other device will be displayed on your TV. Press “Allow” to allow media to be sent.

Please refer to the User’s Guide which came with your TV for more information on this.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

amunoz_tico
AV Hardware:Samsung UN46C7000 & BD-C6900 ¬ Sony PS3 & BPD-S370 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Re: Why can’t I get my Samsung TV to work with Twonky software?

Post by amunoz_tico » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi..

I need to get your help in order to active the "subtitle" features in my Samsung HDTV.

I have a UN46C7000, it is 2010 model. I can open any of my movies, but the problem is that I can't active any subtitle. The subtitle file has the same name of the movie, based on the best practices.

I'd appreciate any comments.
Samsung UN46C7000, BD-C6900 & BD-D5500 ¬ Sony PS3 ¬ Pioneer VSX-820-K ¬ Bose Acoustimass 15 ¬ Wii ¬ DLink DNS-323 & DIR-655 ¬ Monster HDP2400

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:39 pm

We don't have a solution to this yet, but are looking into this.

- Rick

earl.juanico
AV Hardware:Samsung LED TV (UE32C5100)
Philips Digital Photo Frame (8FF3WMI)
Western Digital My Book World II (WDH2NC4000e)

Post by earl.juanico » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 am

I see the list of DMRs that work with Twonky software. I have a Samsung LED TV (UE32C5100), but I could not find this on the list. I'm quite confused because there is a somewhat similar model (UN32C5000) that is on the list. I actually plan to buy TwonkyManager but have doubts of whether it would work on my Samsung TV. Do you think it would work, because I do not want to do a trial on this one because I might mess up the settings on the TV?

I also have a Philips Digital Photo Frame (8FF3WMI), which is DLNA certified [perhaps one of only two models I know that is DLNA certified (checked at http://www.dlna.org)]. Surprisingly, it is not on your list of DMRs that work with Twonky software. I tested a trial version of TwonkyServer, which the photo frame detects. However, TwonkyManager does not recognize my photo frame. This further adds to my doubts about buying the TwonkyManager software.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Try the TV with the trial - you can't harm the TV in any way.
No longer running Twonky

sasa76
AV Hardware:QNAP

Re: Why can’t I get my Samsung TV to work with Twonky softwa

Post by sasa76 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:21 pm

I have Samsung TV LED UE46C6000 and QNAP 419PII with Twonky 6.0.34.
TV is DLNA certified (not listed here http://www.tinyurl.com/twonkydmrs) but I can't connect on Twonky server installed on QNAP.
Samsung recognizing other sources like my android phone or iPad where I installed some DLNA server (I just try it for test). All devices are on same network 192.168.x.x

Can anybody help me with this issue?

thanks in advance

sasa76

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Make sure your router isn't blocking multicast.

- Rick

sasa76

Post by sasa76 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:20 am

It is not blocking, trough same router I am accessing other devices with DLNA server installed like iPad, Samsung Galaxy S

Regards, sasa76

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:35 am

I would first start by performing a simple test. Connect your NAS and TV to the same switch using a wired connection just to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes if you have a network with multiple router/switches, threre can be problems.

- Rick

sasa76

Post by sasa76 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 am

It's working :-). After performed many tests, I tried to put fix IP address on TV and connect directly to QNAP ethernet port without router. This was successful. I still don't know where exactly is the problem (router or TV) but Twonky is working and I have some workaround solution.

Thank you.

Regards, Sasa

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 pm

That's great news. :D

- Rick