Selective video lists

McNEilicus
AV Hardware:PS3, Yamaha RX-V2065, P.c. with Windows 7 (64 bit), Sony Bravia 32EX-403, Pioneer XD£-436, 5 x Monitor Audio Radius 225, Sony RDR HX910 DVD/HDD recorder
Selective video lists

Post by McNEilicus » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi,

I have recently bought a Sony Bravia 32EX-403 and I Downloaded TMM about 2 weeks ago, and after a bit of tinkering (and ALOT of trawling these forums) Ive managed to get then both working together pretty much spot on except for 2 issues I cant seem to resolve?

I rip all my DVDs using "DVD Shrink", all with the same settings (1 complete .VOB file). When I go on Twonky on my PS3 downstairs it see's all my films - approx 150 - and the album art. Yet when I go to my Bravia upstairs (wired cat-6 connection) it only see's certain films? For example I have ripped my "Back to the Future" boxed set, an downstairs the PS3 see's all 3 films and plays them? Yet upstairs the Bravia only see's "Back to the Future 2 & 3"? This applies for about 25% of my collection I would say?

I (think) have ruled out this being a issue with the T.V. because I have also tried "PS3 Media Server" and this see's all the films on the bravia and also plays them, again this is the same for "WMP 12" - though I had to change the file from a .VOB to a .MPEG for WMP 12 to see the file. But Twonky on the PS3 downstairs see's Back to the Future as either a .VOB or .MPEG and plays both? I also dont think it can be a size issue as Back to the Future is the smallest of all 3 of the films?

My 2nd issue is with the album art, again downstairs on the PS3 twonky shows album art with all of my films, yet upstairs on the Bravia it doesnt show any aldum art with my films (MUSIC and PHOTOS are fine). Again I think I have ruled out this being a issue with the T.V as when I use "PS3 Media Server" it shows album art for my videos?

Any HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP on either of these 2 very frustrating issues would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

McNeilicus

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Selective video lists

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:11 pm

A VOB file is a container which can contain different types of audio and video (e.g. H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2 or MPEG-1 Part 2 video, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II or MPEG-2 Audio Layer II audio, Linear PCM, AC-3 or DTS).

Sony TVs only play MPEG-2 and AVCHD video. Some DVD rippers will rip directly to one of these formats with an .MPG or M2TS file extension. I think you will find that those files will play on your Sony TV. There might be a way to get VOB files to play, but I don't have a Sony TV to test this.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

anamorphosa
AV Hardware:WD MyBook Live + TM 5.1.9
LinkSys NSLU2 (Unslung) + TM 4.4.18
Sony Bravia TV KDL-37EX5-3

Re: Selective video lists

Post by anamorphosa » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 am

With regards to the "selective video lists", I have exactly the same problem - with a Bravia KDL-37EX503.

I have spent quite a lot of time narrowing down the problem to one that I have posted in the Server forum.

a) TM 5.1.9 (embedded on my NAS) won't list all files to the Sony TV
b) TM 4.4.18 (on another NAS) will.
c) TM 5.1.9 will list all files to other DLNA clients.

Basically, Sony TVs are very fussy about exactly what file format they will play - in particular, they won't list a file if they don't understand the data in the DLNA_PN message that TM responds to the TV with.

When TM 5.1.9 builds its database, something in the files causes it to incorrectly list the type : you can see this by looking in the database directly : your working files will be labelled "MPEG_PS", whereas your non-working ones won't have this label.

I don't know what in 5.1.9 causes this to happen. As stated above, with 4.4.18 it doesn't happen - i.e. the database is built "correctly".

Can you clarify which version of TM server you are running?

I have a partial solution which involves remuxing the files, but this isn't particularly helpful as it takes a few minutes per file.

(Some stuff on the net suggests that if the order of streams in the VOB/MPG is the culprit- i.e. if the audio is stream 0.0 and the video is 0.1, then the TV won't play them. You can use ffmpeg's ffprobe to look at this (mediainfo doesn't seem to report the stream _order_ ) but this isn't my problem).

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Best Regards,

David