Samsung Tv mp4 "Once Again"

Warmup
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-419P
Samsung 40B750
Samsung Tv mp4 "Once Again"

Post by Warmup » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm

So I browsed this forum and many others as well, without any luck.
My Problem:
I got a QNap TS.419p with latest firmware 3.3.3 running Twonky 5.1.6
And i want to stream MP4 files to my Samsung UE40B750 TV.

What is wrong ?:
It tries to stream the mp4 file to the tv. THe tv starts loading but after a while the tv closes the connection to the media server. and sometimes i get the famous "File format not supported"
I tried editing the clients.db file againg without any luck.

Have anyone got any pointers where to start or even better got a working solution ?

Thanks in advance.

ceefcee
AV Hardware:- Samsung BD-C5900 DLNA
- Samsung LED TV 6000 series DLNA
- Freecom MusicPal
- Xbox 360
- Freecom MG35
- Twonky Manager 2.04 on Windows Server 2008

Re: Samsung Tv mp4 "Once Again"

Post by ceefcee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Thanks to you all for the marvellous work in getting MKV's to play on Samsung Kit. I downloaded & installed Twonky Manager 2.04 last night. In Twonky I changed my Samsung BD-C5900 (Bluray DLNA Player) from "Generic Client" to "Samsung TV" & hey-presto MKV's now play !!!

I have 2 questions now :
1) Is there a similar fix for MP4's ? Mine still won't play.
2) Is there a fix for FastForward & Rewind ? These functions refuse to work on all movie formats on both my Samsung BD-C5900 & my Samsung 6000 series TV.

Thanks again for the development of a great Twonky product.

markmcd
AV Hardware:Server: Twonky Media Server 5.1
Clients: Roku Soundbridge, foobar2000 (w/ upnp component), WMP 12

Post by markmcd » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Agreed - the mkv support on my C5500 is pretty great now. Getting consistent mp4 support would really make things perfect - I don't know about you, but some of my mp4s work and some don't. I haven't been able to identify the pattern yet, but they all work perfectly when shared out through the built in Windows 7 media sharing.

Twonky-Rene

Post by Twonky-Rene » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We really appreciate that!

Would it be possible to provide one example for a video that works and one that doesn't to our anonymous ftp server? We would like to understand what makes the difference.

Thanks, René

markmcd
AV Hardware:Server: Twonky Media Server 5.1
Clients: Roku Soundbridge, foobar2000 (w/ upnp component), WMP 12

Post by markmcd » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Rene,

I actually uploaded two non-working MP4/M4V files to ftp://sftp.pv.com/upload/ on the 18th:
- destructoid--0028--dreamcastlives--hd.h264.mp4
- WP116DizzyRobot.m4v

I have just now uploaded a working file as well:
- commandN_EP_230_H264.mp4

For the record, I'm using a Samsung BD-C5500 with Twonky Server 6.0.30 (Samsung TV device profile). All of these files work when streamed using WMP12/Windows7 media sharing (no transcoding).

Tissy
AV Hardware:Windows 7 PC, Dell Zino HD HTPC, XBOX 360, iPad, Samsung 40B650 LCD TV

Post by Tissy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:53 pm

I too am having no success playing MP4 files on my Samsung LE40B650 LCD TV via TwonkyServer. It displays "file format not supported".

I have the latest TwonkyServer 6.3.0 installed on my Windows Home Server.

The MP4 files are created from DVDs using iSkySoft DVD Ripper which supports many different MP4 variants. I believe I have tried them all with no success.

MP4 files play fine when played on the TV via a USB pen-drive plugged directly into the TV.

MP4 is my chosen format due to other devices around the home which i want to stream to either using TwonkyServer or device specific servers.

I am currently running the demo version of TwonkyServer, but obvioulsy reluctant to pay the full license unitl I know MP4 works correctly.

Please find a fix before my 20 day expiration :-)

Steve
United Kingdom

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 am

Try the method I posted here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 527#p33527 to try and get mp4 files working.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

Tissy
AV Hardware:Windows 7 PC, Dell Zino HD HTPC, XBOX 360, iPad, Samsung 40B650 LCD TV

Post by Tissy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Unfortunately above hasn't worked for me :-(

Any other suggestion ?

With only 4 days left on my trial, I would like to see this working otherwise its not worth purchasing full licence.

Steve

Milo
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-419p+

Post by Milo » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm

[quote="Warmup"]So I browsed this forum and many others as well, without any luck.
My Problem:
I got a QNap TS.419p with latest firmware 3.3.3 running Twonky 5.1.6
And i want to stream MP4 files to my Samsung UE40B750 TV.

What is wrong ?:
It tries to stream the mp4 file to the tv. THe tv starts loading but after a while the tv closes the connection to the media server. and sometimes i get the famous "File format not supported"
I tried editing the clients.db file againg without any luck.

Have anyone got any pointers where to start or even better got a working solution ?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I've got the same issue as you (albeit with the QNAP TS-419p+, firmware 3.4.1 Build 0315T and Twonky 6.0.30).
It's driving me nuts.

Using the Samsung Media share software, my MP4s playback fine. They also work via the USB input.
They're all encoded using Handbrake using H.264 for the video codec and 6 channel AAC - which admittedly isn't that standard, but the fact they play back via both USB & Samsung's own DLNA software shows that the TV can handle it.

I've tried modifying the clients.db entry for the Samsung TV, modifying or adding one row at a time, but I've not found anything that works as yet. If anyone has, please post a reply to let me know!

Should state that I have a Samsung UE40C8000

Thanks in advance all
Milo

ThrashAZ
AV Hardware:Samsung UN55C8000
QNAP TS-219P+

Post by ThrashAZ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Hello,

I know this thread is a bit dated but I have done a bit of research trying to get this working as well. What I eventually discovered was that MP4s had to be structured so that they were "web optimized." If you are encoding video files in HandBrake, use can check the Web Optimized box to use the --optimize command.

What this does is rearranges the MP4 files so they play better over the web as progressive downloads. Basically, doing this moves the MP4 atoms to the beginning of the file instead of the end, which assists with faster start of streaming playback from certain devices but makes changes to the atoms less efficient (metadata, etc.).

There are a number of utilities out there that can move the MP4 atoms. However, the ONLY one I was able to successfully create consistent playable MP4s with is AoA MP4 Patch. (google it)

I thought I would have to re-encode all of my MP4s with they wouldn't play back via DLNA to my Samsung TV. But, after running them through the AoA MP4 Patch utility, they all now play successfully.

Best of luck to you all!

Josh

Milo
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-419p+

Post by Milo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:06 pm

[quote="ThrashAZ"]Hello,

I know this thread is a bit dated but I have done a bit of research trying to get this working as well. What I eventually discovered was that MP4s had to be structured so that they were "web optimized." If you are encoding video files in HandBrake, use can check the Web Optimized box to use the --optimize command.

What this does is rearranges the MP4 files so they play better over the web as progressive downloads. Basically, doing this moves the MP4 atoms to the beginning of the file instead of the end, which assists with faster start of streaming playback from certain devices but makes changes to the atoms less efficient (metadata, etc.).

There are a number of utilities out there that can move the MP4 atoms. However, the ONLY one I was able to successfully create consistent playable MP4s with is AoA MP4 Patch. (google it)

I thought I would have to re-encode all of my MP4s with they wouldn't play back via DLNA to my Samsung TV. But, after running them through the AoA MP4 Patch utility, they all now play successfully.

Best of luck to you all!

Josh[/quote]

Josh - just wanted to say thanks for this info.
I'd given up trying to find a solution to it and just played my MP4s via the PS3.
I used AoA's MP4 patch utility on one file and successfully played it back on the TV :)
However, there is a slight issue in terms of fast-forwarding. It seems to start skipping frames when resuming playback.

Anyway, I've also now adjusted my Handbrake presets to include the "Web optimized" option.

Thanks again
Milo