Subtitles are now working on Samsung TVs!

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.
Subtitles are now working on Samsung TVs!

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 pm

SRT subtitles are finally working with Samsung TVs! More info:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 106#p34102

You'll need TwonkyServer 6.0.31-RC6 or TwonkyManager 2.0.5 to test this however. Server is posted here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 277#p33998

UPDATE:

1. TM 2.0.5 has been posted in the Manager forum.
2. We're told that updating Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-Ray players to firmware v1019.0 breaks support for subtitles. We are looking into this and seeing what can be done about it. If your Samsung TV or Blu-ray is working with subtitles, DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE until we have a chance to fix this. -Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Subtitles are now working on Samsung TVs!

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Note: Some users have reported that they needed to update the firmware in their Samsung TVs before subtitles would work with TS 6.0.31-RC6.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:57 pm

We're told that updating Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-Ray players to firmware v1019.0 breaks support for subtitles. We are looking into this and seeing what can be done about it. If your Samsung TV or Blu-ray is working with subtitles, DO NOT UPGRADE it's firmware until we have a chance to fix this.

- Rick

Abasce
AV Hardware:Samsung UE32C6000
Western Digital MyBook Live 1Tb

Post by Abasce » Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello everyone:

Could anyone tell me, why subtitles in .srt format don't work on my samsung UEC326000 Led TV?? (neither on my PS3 system)

Tried Twonky Server PC and NAS release 6.0.32 and 6.0.31RC-6. Subtitle and *.avi have the same name, configured as "samsung TV" in "media player" under /server:9000/ config page, changed avi and srt name to have less chars (named "test.avi" and "test.srt") Tried Twonky Manager instead on PC to stream to SamsungTV. No subtitles appear. Have latest firmware on my TV.

I can watch every video without problems throug "all share" but i can not make subtitles work with my TV with any version of Twonky.

It's supposed to work on Samsung C-series LED TV's as it is published in the release changelog.
¿Any clue about why it doesn't work?

¿ Have I got to edit any param in clints.db ?

Thanks in advance.

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 pm

I recently logged this issue into our system. Apparently a Samsung firmware update broke this feature which was working fine before.

- Rick

Abasce

Post by Abasce » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:20 am

Hello again!

Finally Subtitles work with my Samsung UE32C6000 TV!!!! Thanks!!! You made it in 6.0.34!!!

Anyway, i've detected some strange behaviour in the software. They are:
1. When i add a new file+subs in my shared folder, Twonky inmediately detects the *.avi file (detection configured as -1), but the subtitles don't work. I have to REESCAN my content directory in order to make them work. It's weird, isn't it???

2. I've also detected that everytime I reestart my server (Linux) Twonky reescans all the database content again. This is a bit painful because i have a large amount of files in my shared folder and it takes for twonky around 10 minutes to get all the files available over my homenet DLNA players.

¿Does it have been noticed before? ¿It is planned to find a solution for these little troubles? ¿Would they be fixed on Twonky 7?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:54 am

I'm sharing this with others on our engineering team. Thanks for reporting this.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Here is the response which I have received about these issues:
For 1: TwonkyServer checks for the subtitle at the time the video is added to the database. If the subtitle file is not there at this point it you have to do a rescan. You may want to first copy the subtitle file, then the video.

For 2: This is the intended behavior. TS has to scan all shared directories at startup, otherwise it would miss all changes to the content that have been made while it was not running.
Thanks to Burkhard, for the prompt response.

- Rick

hurvana
AV Hardware:samsung
zyxel

Post by hurvana » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Hello, this is my first post. I installed Twonky 7.0 last night and everything is working well, except for one problem. I'm streaming videos over WLAN from my PC to my Samsung TV, but I don't get subtitles when playing MP4 videos. THe subs are external SRT files, and do work for all other formats I've tried (AVI, MKV) but not for MP4. Pretty annoying! Any ideas what is causing this?

Samsung Smart TV UE46D6757 (2011)
ZyXEL Prestige P-660HW-D1 Gateway
PC: Windows 7 64bit + Twonky 7.0

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:02 am

Sadly I do not. Is everyone having problems with subtitles and MP4 files?

- Rick

PatmanBE
AV Hardware:Samsung UE46D7000
WD MyBookLive 1TB

Post by PatmanBE » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Hello,

Yesterday, I've found something on some forums regarding the support to play any video format including subtitles over NAS. I followed the steps and in the end successfully updated the twonkymedia on my WD MyBookLive to 6.0.38.

With this update, I manage to play MKV files through a wired network to my Samsung UE46D7000, which is an improvement.
However the subtitle problem still persists: I cannot play movies on the NAS with the subtitles.
In order to make sure that there aren't any problems with the SRT files, I've tested them on an usb stick directly in the TV , which work flawlessly. No problems there.

Once I found that it didn't work for me, I looked on your site to check if there's any other version available and found version 6.0.39. After updating the Twonkymedia on my WD MyBookLive to 6.0.39, first it looked as it was an improvement, because Twonky set the type of media receiver right from the start (in version 6.0.38, it showed 'generic receiver'. However the SRT files still don't work over the network. Any ideas what I do wrong or which parameter causes this problem?

I already tried on "Samsung Smart TV" setting, as well as on "Samsung TV", nothing seems to work for me.
Any ideas to solve the problem? The version of the software of my TV is 001021

Kind regards,
Patrick

adamski
AV Hardware:Samsung UE46D5005 DLNA TV, Verbatim Mediashare NAS

Post by adamski » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 am

[quote="PatmanBE"]Hello,

However the SRT files still don't work over the network. Any ideas what I do wrong or which parameter causes this problem?

I already tried on "Samsung Smart TV" setting, as well as on "Samsung TV", nothing seems to work for me.
Any ideas to solve the problem? The version of the software of my TV is 001021

Kind regards,
Patrick[/quote]

I have a similar problem. My Samsung 46D5005 can play .avi files with subtitles, but not .mkv's. The video and sound is fine, but no subtitles, neither embedded or in a seperate file. I am running 6.0.39.

Joe Smith
AV Hardware:Qnap TS-119P II
Samsung UE55D-8005 Smart-TV

Post by Joe Smith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:32 pm

[quote="TMM_Product_Manager"]Sadly I do not. Is everyone having problems with subtitles and MP4 files?

- Rick[/quote]

At least I have problems with mp4.

I can't get external srt subtitles work with mp4 videos with my Samsung (should be)Smart-TV. I also tried with muxed mp4 subtitles, but these doesn't work either. (No suprise, it's a limitation in Samsung TV).

External subtitles works fine with mkv and avi videos.

My setup is Qnap, with Twonky version 6.0.38 and Samsung UE55D8005 Smart-TV.

/Joe

Abasce

Post by Abasce » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I confirm that *.srt subtitles don't work with *.MP4 files.

*.avi and *.mkv external subs (*.srt) work fine over my setup.

I use Twonky 7.0.5 and my TV is a Samsubg LED UE32C6000

¿Could you report that issue?

Thanks in advance

(Audio/sub selection in mkvs with multiple audio/sub tracks doesn't work either under my setup, but I assume that is impossible for Twonky, although it works fine with samsung sharing software, isn't it??)

xialutron
AV Hardware:Samsung smart TV UE32D5700

Post by xialutron » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Hello,
I am reply to this post because I am having trouble with my Samsung smart Tv to get the subtitles working.
I am using the lastest version of twonky (7.0.7) and i can't get any subtitles working.
In my case it is not only with mp4 but avi(s) as well and more surprisingly it worked once after i install the new version of twonky and now it is not working again.
I don't know if there is a trick to enable/disable subtitle but I have basically tried everything i could think of (restart server, change the subtitle file for another one, rescan directory, update firmware and twonky)
I am using a samsung smart tv UE32D5700 with the lastest firmware 1019.

What i also don't get, is that it used to work as well with the previous version of twonky then stopped working one day without any changed on the settings.

Do you have any suggestion/idea ? What are the setting you are using on your twonky as i can see you also have a smart tv ?

Thank you!
Regards

Edit : I just did a factory reset on twonky settings and its working again but I don't know for how long

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 am

Please let us know if it stops again and which version of TwonkyServer it used to work with. Thanks.

- Rick

xialutron

Post by xialutron » Thu May 03, 2012 10:57 am

Hi,
Thank you for your answer.
Well it did stopped again. I am currently using twonky special 7.0.7 and it is with this version that it works then stopped.
Basically what i have noticed is that videos with the associated subtitle file will only play with the subtitle if i reset the factory setting of twonky. if I add a new video and try to add the subtitle file after the factory reset, the video will be available on my tv but not the subtitle.
For me it looks like when i do a factory reset the scan of the folders detect correctly the sub files and will play them fine, but if i use the normal scan (not doing a factory reset) the scan seem to detect only the movies files and not the others.
I don't know if i am really clear but to synthesized subtitles files added after the factory reset won't be seen by the tv whereas they are available as long as they were already properly named and available when you do a factory reset.

thank you for your time.
Regards
David

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Thanks for the additional info. Passing this on to our engineers now.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri May 04, 2012 12:01 am

Our tester says that both TM 3.0.1 and TS Special 7.0.7 are working with his AVI subtitle test video.

How big is the file you're testing with? If it's not too big, I can give you our FTP site in case you're able to upload it.

- Rick

xialutron

Post by xialutron » Fri May 04, 2012 8:41 pm

hello,

well the lastest file i got the problem with weighted about 360 Mo so I can upload it for you but just to be sure i was clear it doesn't seem to be specific to only one file but mainly to the fact that the subfile was added after the initial scan (following a reset to default), if i had the movie file and the sub file already available when i reset, everything will play smoothly.

Just to give your engineers an idea, here are the steps :
- do a factory reset with a couple of videos and associated sub files already in the share folder
- add a new video file to the share folder and add a sub file (properly renamed)

-> the existing videos with the associated sub will play with the sub file whereas you will be able to play the recently added movies but the sub won't work

to make it work i go to the advanced setting and click to reset default and add again my share folder.
-> now all the videos will play with the sub until i add again a new video which will once again only play the movie without the sub.

One more thing, lately i had something weird that might explain the problem, on my tv i sometime see, not one, but two twonky, named servername 1 and servername 2. Those don't seem to properly update the available file list as it will sometime still display files that i have deleted. Most of the time servername 2 is more up to date.
I don't know if that is related or not but that might be one of the reason.

Thank you once again for investigating.
Regards
David

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri May 04, 2012 11:42 pm

You're welcome. :D

I'll pass on this info, but they will probably still request a test file in case they cannot reproduce this.

- Rick

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Here is a message which I received from the person looking into this. The bottom line is that we need to get a test file in order to continue any work on this issue. Scroll to the bottom of this message for instructions how to upload to our FTP. If you can't do this, that's fine. I
His suggestions did not trigger the issue. I tried three scenarios and in all three the subtitles were displayed.

1) Removed srt file and added srt file back into folder

Video played with no subtitles ; After adding the srt file back into folder the video file played with subtitle.

2) Added a second test file with corresponding srt file into the video folder:

1st and 2nd video files played with subtitles

3) Removed all srt files from folder and inserted srt files back into folder

1st and 2nd video files played with subtitles
How to upload a test file to our FTP site

1. On a Windows PC. Open Windows Explorer. You can find it under the Start menu under All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer.

2. Paste the following into the Address bar on Windows Explorer: ftp://sftp.pv.com/upload

3. You should see a folder appear under Internet Explorer labeled sftp.pv.

4. If you expand it, you should see another folder labeled “upload”. Copy your problem file into this folder and send a message to tmm-beta@pv.com letting us know what the file is named, along with details about the problems you’re experiencing. You can just cut and paste from here.

Thanks.

- Rick

xialutron

Post by xialutron » Thu May 10, 2012 7:43 am

Hello,
I have tried to connect to the ftp address you gave me but on windows i get an error message "the connection with the server was reset", while when i try to connect with filezilla i receive a time out message.
Should i use a login and password ? can i connect to the ftp while living in europe or the connection is not fast enough ?
Is there an other way ?

Thank you,
Regards
David

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri May 11, 2012 10:25 pm

Let me check and see if they've changed the log-in info. It used to be that a password isn't required. The server is in Berlin, so that might be why you're seeing a long response time.

- Rick

kosmag
AV Hardware:Samsung 50j6200

Post by kosmag » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:24 am

I am an owner of Samsun 50J6200 tv with 1433 firmware. Reading the release notes of Twonky server version 8.2.1 i can see that "added support for subtitles for Samsung Series J TV". Unfortunately, even if i select Samsung J series on device options, i cannot see the .srt subtitles. The filename matches the .avi filename. Sould i do any special setting for the subtitles to work?