Version 4.3 and MP101 - still freezing up while playing

Everything about the Netgear support, problems, hints...
Begize

Post by Begize » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Hello all.

I've just upgraded to 4.3 in a bid to fix the problem that seems to have dogged Twonky and my MP101 for a while, namely that after it's been playing happily for 2 - 3 hours, the MP101 suddenly decides that it's going to freeze and stop. It sometimes goes onto the next track, sometimes stops as if it's finished playing the track and sometimes just locks up.

If I then play another track, it plays fine for about 10 - 15 minutes then freezes again. To fix the problem I need to restart Twonky - I've tried just restarting the MP101 and it doesn't work.

I've tried setting the MP101 RTP option in clients (normally I just have it set on MP101) and that makes it worse - it won't even play 1 second of a song without jumping and after about 10 seconds, gives up and moves onto the next track.

Previously I used the Netgear server with no problems on the MP101, but it's resource hogging on my PC which stays on all the time was terrible so I switched back to Twonky at V4.1 and have had this problem every since although according to the forums, it' should be fixed in 4.3????

My setup is P4 2.4 GHZ with 2GB RAM running XP SP2, no software firewall, AV turned off for the Twonky and music folders and TwonkyMedia 4.3. MP101 is on latest firmware and connecting wirelessly. As the Netgear software seems to work virtually flawlessly for many hours connected over wireless then my gut feeling says it's not a wireless reception issue but I will give it a try with a wire when I can borrow one from work just to rule that out.

Any other ideas?

Begize

Post by Begize » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Having just browsed about on here I've found a couple of posts refering to a hardware mod to improve wireless reception so I'm going to try that.

ksam

Post by ksam » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:59 pm

[quote="Begize"]Having just browsed about on here I've found a couple of posts refering to a hardware mod to improve wireless reception so I'm going to try that.[/quote]

Sorry, but for me wireless is not the problem....
I went back to version 4.0 to get rid of this bug (freezing and skipping rest of songs).
I never had it before i upgraded to 4.1 or any newer....

using MP101 / Twonky running on NSLU2 (Unslung 5.5) and 100 MBit/s wired.

maybe end of life for MP101 and Twonky....:(

ksam

Deguello

Post by Deguello » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi,

I met a similar prob with my MP101 - frequently stops. I tested nearly every setting, finally I kicked out the WIFI and have chosen a pair of powerline plugs instead.

Now everything is fine again, no stops, no probs. I can't tell you whether tis will cure your pain too, but for me, kicking out WIFI has been really helpful.

And for the rest of my family too, especially improving WAF :wink:

Greetings from Germany,

Frank

markah1

Post by markah1 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:11 am

Hello,

I also had a problem with frequent stops, which was fixed by adjusting the MTU value for the Ethernet adapter from 514 to 1454. There is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on adjusting MTU at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;315008

Hope this helps,

Mark