Twonky Server 6.0.1 on Ready NAS Duo - How change base dir?

Everything about the Netgear support, problems, hints...
bemar
AV Hardware:xbox
Twonky Server 6.0.1 on Ready NAS Duo - How change base dir?

Post by bemar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 am

Hello,

I've installed Twonky Server 6.0.1 on my Ready NAS Duo device.
On that device I have my "video", "music" and "picture" share. After installation of the Twonky Server I have a further share "media" which seems to be the base folder for the twonky server. I've added a "music", "picture" and "video" folder into the "media" share and setup this folders in the Twonky Server as my media source folders. It's running but its not satasfiying to me because the media are in my basic shares on the root of the NAS Server.Everytime I wan't to stream something about the twonky server I have to copy it from my basic shares to the twonky folders.

I've seen in the twonky_config.ini there is a parameter for the base folder set to /c/media/. Now the question is what is the intention of twonky to use its own share "media" and how can I change this parameter (I've tried as admin and got a permission error).

Thx for your help

Ben

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Twonky Server 6.0.1 on Ready NAS Duo - How change base dir?

Post by Briain » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi

The base directory can be very easily set by using your web browser to send an RPC call. This populates the Twonky ini file with the new information, then restarting Twonky picks it up (very easy to do and it only takes a few seconds).

Please see my post here as that explains the various options and how to apply them.

Bri

Pidsley
AV Hardware:ReadyNas Duo, Squeezebox, Panny Tv TX-P42G20B, Windows 7 Laptop

Re: Twonky Server 6.0.1 on Ready NAS Duo - How change base dir?

Post by Pidsley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 am

Hi,

I also have a ReadNAs Duo running squeezebox and DLNA. Can I ask why you installed twonky? Does this give the ReadyNas a better streaming ability?

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Twonky Server 6.0.1 on Ready NAS Duo - How change base d

Post by Briain » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi

It's much better as it handles embedded art (in FLAC files), and with custom trees, it shows the album artist container. In addition, with custom trees the menu structure is vastly superior for folks with medium to large album collections. To be honest, I've not ever used the Twonky supplied menus as my collection is too big to have 'all' containers in it, but I'd expect that the standard Twonky menu's would still be vastly superior to the built in ReadyDLNA menus (I really can't say that for sure as I've only seen very early versions of ReadyDLNA and thus the menu structure might have advanced since these early versions).

Bri