1 MacBook Air
1 PS3
1 HTC Incredible S
1 iPhone 4
1 iPad
Need to Decide:
Linksys E4200
WDTV Live??
NAS Drive or a external USB Drive connected to the router?
Help With Linksys E4200

Post by FahdR » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:43 am

Hi,

I'm looking to update my home network and looking into buying a media server as well.
Firstly, since i already have the PS3 do i really need to get WDTV Live, as my TV is not DLNA?

I was checking out the Linksys E4200 and it has the below feature:

"The USB port lets you add a range of USB storage devices such as flash drives and external hard drives to share files at home or over the Internet for greater access to more information. The built-in UPnP AV Media Server enables seamless streaming of your video and media files to an Xbox 360, PS3, or other UPnP compatible device."

now the question is should i get a USB 3.0 external HDD with it. or will i need a NAS drive to setup the Twonky server on it? or should i just get something live the WDTV Live Hub?

Thanks in Advance.

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: Help With Linksys E4200

Post by DaemonBeetle » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 am

If you have a PS3 you don't need to get the WD TV Live.

I wouldn't worry about USB 3 - this review suggests that the hardware is quite limited. Just about any USB connected media will do for what you're after and for what the router is capable of.

Given that the router isn't likely to be able to support HD streaming I'd suggest that the WD TV Live Hub may be the best choice. You can hook it directly into your TV and play media from the built in hard disk and use the built in Twonky server to stream media to other devices.
No longer running Twonky

FahdR
AV Hardware:Have:
Sony Bravia (Non-DLNA)
2 Win XP
1 Win 7
1 MacBook Air
1 PS3
1 HTC Incredible S
1 iPhone 4
1 iPad
Need to Decide:
Linksys E4200
WDTV Live??
NAS Drive or a external USB Drive connected to the router?

Post by FahdR » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks DaemonBeetle,
Sorry for the late response but the internet router betrayed me. :cry:

I read the review and it said that the router is already using Twonky Server. So i guess no worries there.

Secondly you said that it might not be capable of Streaming HD movies.

1- I thought it had DLNA (5Ghz), which in my understanding is made for HD movies and Gaming?
2- if not, then I'm hoping the problem will be solved with a LAN cable between router and PS3?

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:13 pm

FahdR wrote:Secondly you said that it might not be capable of Streaming HD movies.

1- I thought it had DLNA (5Ghz), which in my understanding is made for HD movies and Gaming?
2- if not, then I'm hoping the problem will be solved with a LAN cable between router and PS3?
DNLA has nothing to do with wireless protocols. Also, 5 GHz is simply one of the 2 bands (the other being 2.4 GHz) used by WiFi (802.11). It isn't made for anything in particular, though it's less commonly used so less likely to suffer interference.

If you have 802.11n, operating in 40 Hz mode (which you'll never get on 2.4 GHz) then you may be able to stream HD. However as many others will tell you, wireless performance varies without any obvious (to you) cause.

Wired is more predictable, and generally reliable, if you can.
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:52 am

This server does indeed have TwonkyServer 6.0 embedded in it. I read some reviews that said this router doesn't have enough power to spin-up some USB drives. I also read that some firmware versions had server problems. I'm trying to get more info on this since I just bought this router for my home over this weekend. :D

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

Aqualung
AV Hardware:Roku, E4200

Post by Aqualung » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:55 am

The Twonky Media Server is busted on the E4200 as of fw. ver. 1.0.02. There is a fw. upgrade planned for late September that's supposed to fix it.