Linksys - Kiss don't support Twonky??

LinkSys wireless Music Player and LinkSys Media Adapter
declank
Linksys - Kiss don't support Twonky??

Post by declank » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Is it me, or does does Linksys / Kiss want nothing to do with Twonky???

Question to Kiss support 08/13/2007 04:50 AM

When using the Kiss to play off my storage device, I don't get the Twonkey media server listed 'most of the time'.

At first I thought it was the Twonkey server, but after many re-installs it was the same and found that I need to unplug the power to the Kiss 1600 and re-power.

Do you have any idea's how to remedy this? Or can you look to fix this in the next firmware update?

Answer from Kiss support 08/15/2007 04:26 AM

The player connects to the network using specialized software which is shipped on a CD along with the player and is also available on our website (http://www.kiss-technology.com). The players would be able to access the data from the NAS if the NAS drive is mapped from the computer. You will be able to access the data from the NAS without having to copy the files from the NAS to the computer; however, you will need to keep the computer ON all the time when you want to use the NAS as it is mapped from the computer.

Thank you for choosing Linksys once again.

Best Regards,
HARSH
Linksys Technical Support
support.uk@kiss-technology.com

mumsoft

Re: Linksys - Kiss don't support Twonky??

Post by mumsoft » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:41 pm

declank wrote:Is it me, or does does Linksys / Kiss want nothing to do with Twonky???

Question to Kiss support 08/13/2007 04:50 AM

When using the Kiss to play off my storage device, I don't get the Twonkey media server listed 'most of the time'.

At first I thought it was the Twonkey server, but after many re-installs it was the same and found that I need to unplug the power to the Kiss 1600 and re-power.

Do you have any idea's how to remedy this? Or can you look to fix this in the next firmware update?

Answer from Kiss support 08/15/2007 04:26 AM

The player connects to the network using specialized software which is shipped on a CD along with the player and is also available on our website (http://www.kiss-technology.com). The players would be able to access the data from the NAS if the NAS drive is mapped from the computer. You will be able to access the data from the NAS without having to copy the files from the NAS to the computer; however, you will need to keep the computer ON all the time when you want to use the NAS as it is mapped from the computer.

Thank you for choosing Linksys once again.

Best Regards,
HARSH
Linksys Technical Support
support.uk@kiss-technology.com
Ridiculous. I hope no one will take this seriously. What is the use of a NAS if you have to keep your computer on all the time???

I am looking at the Kiss 1600 as a solution (not as a problem) for my need to get pictures, music (ogg), and films streamed.
So, I wonder, if the Kiss 1600 sees TwonkyMedia after repowering, will that be a stable link?
* Marc *

mumsoft

The Linksys boys gave me a perfect link

Post by mumsoft » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:12 pm

I have not bought a Kiss 1600 (yet), but thought it wise to ask the Linksys helpdesk about UPnP AV first, and for a Linux version of pc-link, as was suggested in one of the documents about the Kiss 1600.
They told me that they did not provide a Linux version of pc-link, but that there are several alternatives to be found on the internet. I myself had found two of those earlier. But I think this one is most precious, and suitable to replace Twonky on a Linux-NAS:
http://kissdx.vidartysse.net/ :D
Also have a look here:
http://www.mpcclub.com/modules.php?name ... 3194#95784

They also told me that UPnP AV as such is not used by the Kiss, but that PC-Link is about the same protocol, so that some UPnP AV servers might work. Plus that they might provide UPnP AV in coming firmware versions (no promise).
* Marc *

zorglub

Post by zorglub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:54 pm

I have absolutely no problems playing my mp3s, photos and videos on from my Infrant running Twonky on my Kiss 1600. It works very smoothly. Try it.

zorglub

Post by zorglub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:55 pm

I have absolutely no problems playing my mp3s, photos and videos on from my Infrant running Twonky on my Kiss 1600. It works very smoothly. Try it.

declank

Post by declank » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 am

Yep, I'm all sorted now. Works a treat.