twonky 4.4, unslung 6.8 beta, NSLU2 with hdd in port 2!

LinkSys wireless Music Player and LinkSys Media Adapter
rvoith
twonky 4.4, unslung 6.8 beta, NSLU2 with hdd in port 2!

Post by rvoith » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:25 am

Hi, I have a slug which have been unslung to 6.8 Beta. I have followed the instructions in the 6.8 beta and in fact unslunged to a harddisk in Disk 2 port (the top port, which previously was meant for disk/usb sticks). It's now "Unslung to disk2, /dev/sda1".

When I try to use the TM-NSLU2 package's NASSetup, it does connect successfully to the slug, and it does transfer the nas-installer (and nas-uninstaller if I specify so in the NASSetup dialog box) to the /tmp directory. But unfortunately it seems like something is not working correctly in the nas-installer. I do not see the results of all the file retrieval/copying for my port 9000. Any ideas?

Sincerely, Bob

rvoith

No official support - so I answer my own question!

Post by rvoith » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:46 am

First of all, in addition to this post in the forum, I have also sent an official support question to TwonkyVision. Unfortunately I haven't received any response anywhere!! Not even a "We have received your question...". That's BAD!

Enough ranting! I was very eager to get the slug going with Twonky, so I tried a lot of stuff. Below are some of my findings;

1. I tried to use Unslung 6.8 Beta. That was a mistake for me. Previously I have notices that some firmwares from LinkSys perform better than others regarding ordinary file transfer speeds. The 2.3r69 which Unslung 6.8 is based upon, is unfortunately a slow performer - VERY slow performer. When I reverted back to my old 2.3r25, things were back to normal speeds, fil transfer speed wise.

BTW; in order to be able to flash the slug with older versions of the firmware, I used the Sercomm utility described on this page http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/R ... mABadFlash. That worked fine with my system.

2. USB disk was attached to Disk 2 (the top port on the slug, instead of the more common Disk 1). This was according to the recommendations in the Unslung 6.8 Beta readme file. Of course that was to ask for trouble!

3. So I decided to go for Unslung 5.5 Beta, and the USB disk attached to Disk 1. I also verified that the ordinary file transfer speeds was OK with the 2.3r29 which Unslung 5.5 is based upon. That was ok!

So, after a while, with flashing, unslinging etc, I was ready to install TwonkyMedia 4.4's NASSetup.exe. I am using Vista on my main laptop, and of course the NASSetup didn't work as expected either. It turned out that the slug couldn't download the files with wget (this is all controlled via NASSetup which kind of remote operate the slug ia telnet). The sympthomes by the way, is that you *can* connect to the slug with NASSetup, and you see some messages, amongst them wget and some sh commands. Howver, if things work as expected you should see a huge, scrolling list of successful wget's. It downloads several files to the slug and execute some of them!

In my quest to get NASSetup to work, I first tried to use it from within an Windows XP SP2 WMWare image, without success.

So, my final attempt, was to fork up a separate laptop, with Windows XP SP2 on it, and use that towards the slug. Note that I turned off the firewall first. AND now the NASSetup worked!!