No media files found on network drive

LinkSys wireless Music Player and LinkSys Media Adapter
pfield69
AV Hardware:Netgear MP115
Freecom Network drive
No media files found on network drive

Post by pfield69 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:52 am

As you might all guess, I'm clueless.

After initial problems of loading firmware and Twonky, my NSLU/Twonky can't find my music files.

My music files are stored on a network drive (Freecom) so in the share option of Twonky I directed it to \\fnd\public\My Music.

This did not result in any files being found. So I changed the path to \\fnd\public thinking the space might have cause a problem. till no joy. I have turned of automatic scanning, which is what I think the FAQ is saying.

Help me please

If you wonder why I use a network drive rather then connecting straight to NSLU2, it is because it goes to sleep when not accessed. Both my Freecom drives (usb and network) aren't regognised by the NSLU {not formatted} as one uses NTFS and the other a Freecom disk structure. If I could install a power saving applet to use on the usb drive and still use NTFS I could lose the network drive. NTFS is needed as there are very large video files on the drive.

pfield69
Freecom Network drive

Re: No media files found on network drive

Post by pfield69 » Sat May 10, 2008 9:55 am

In addition to no files being found the device can't see any radio stations.

pfield69
Freecom Network drive

Post by pfield69 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:07 am

I've resolved these problems. This isn't necessarily the best way but as I had no support its the best I can do.

Radio Stations:
I set Twonky to NSLU to use my dhcp server (the router) to get ip address rather then set it up manually. This allowed the router to give it access to the internet. Even though I had tried with the firewall off the DoS function of the router wouldn't let NSLU access the internet when ip is set manually.

No Media filed:

I created folders in /mnt and /share (I called it folder) I then smbmount //network_share_ip/share/ /mnt/folder -o password=password
smbmount //network_share_ip/share/ /share/folder

This allows the network shared direcory to be selected through the Twonky web interface.

What I still need to do is
load these lines automatically on NSLU start-up
find out how to load in playlists

My experiance so far with media server/ players is that the technology is miles away from being retail ready. It can't be so hard to have a cheap reasonable quality network based set up to stream media content. :?

hottehue
AV Hardware:WD-NetCenter, NSLU2

Post by hottehue » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Thank you very much for posting the solution to the "no media file" problem.
It worked for me as well!!!!!

:D