Windows specific discussions
FrankL
AV Hardware:Kirkwood running Debian 6 Squeeze armel
Clients: WMP11 on MS Windows Vista
Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite EVA9100
WMP11 indefinitely growing disk cache

Post by FrankL » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi,

I use twonkymediaserver 5.1.4 (works best on my server machine) to serve audio to Windows Media Player 11 clients on MS Windows Vista. This works great, but I've noticed the a peculiarity:

\%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 keeps growing in size over time. This is the location where WMP11 seems to keep its disk cache size for the streamed UPNP data in MS Windows Vista. After a couple of weeks/months of using WMP11 as upnp player, this location can easily grow into the gigabyte size range.

Is this a problem only connected to TMS, or inherent to how WMP11 works? I don't have another upnp server to compare with unfortunately.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: WMP11 indefinitely growing disk cache

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:08 pm

I do not believe that this issue is caused by TwonkyServer. You might want to make Microsoft aware of this.

If you come up with futher evidence that this is in fact caused by us, please let me know.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/