Media Client for XP

Windows specific discussions
x-hund
Media Client for XP

Post by x-hund » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:53 pm

I am running twonky on a Synology 106j NAS and streaming to my PS3. I would also like to be able to stream mostly music to my laptop winXP machine.

Does anyone have suggestions for (preferably free) software client to use for this?

Regards

kimm

Client on WinXP

Post by kimm » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:59 am

I've been searching for an UPnP client plugins for Windows Media Player (and WinAmp) - the only thing I found was on2share - which should be both a server and plugins, unfortunately it wasn't free (20€).

I tried it anyway (14 days free trial) and it worked both with WMP 11 and WinAmp 5.35.

Before you use it, you should install the UPnP service on your PC:

1. Network Connections>Advanced>Optional Networking Component
2. Networking Services>Details
3. Select: UPnP User Interface
4. OK OK OK ...

The good news is, that you dont need the on2share server - and the plugins works after expiration date of the server - so the server should just be disabled after you have run the installation first time.

In WMP you should go to Library>More Options and select Plug-ins, select Backgound and check On2Share.

Its my experience that in WMP you should start selecting PlayLists and then your Mediaserver ...

It's my experiece that you should give both the WMP and the WinAmp a little time after start up before playing - if you dont the system can lockup - if any can explain this I would be gratefull.

/Kim

FrancisMartens

Incomplete lists

Post by FrancisMartens » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:48 am

I'm using windows media player 11 as is (no on2share plugin)
WMP11 finds the server and builds a partial library (i.e 60% of the songs are listed, pictures are not showed, playlists are ignored.

Although WMP is listed as client in the clientdevices, it is not working completely. Anyone having an hint

maclauk

Post by maclauk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:08 am

Tried on2share with WMP11 and hated it.

Am now using Showtime 2 I had from an old copy of Nero 6. Seems to work really well with the Xvid and DivX files I have, is useless on pictures and clumsy with music.

Setting things up a proof of concept as thinking about getting a PS3 as a generic game machine and media player. Will probably have to look at a different media server then as Xvid files will need transcoding to work on a PS3.

In the short term would love any advice on a properly implemented media client for the PC.

Cheers.

kimm

Post by kimm » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi maclauk

I'll agrre with that MP11 stinks - and lately i've primarily beeing using WinAmp - and it work really good with music.

/Kim

maclauk

Post by maclauk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:06 am

Not too keen on WMP11, but it was on2share I really hated. Slow, unstable with a dreadful interface. :( Why is it media players, unlike virtually all other applications, think they need to have a funky UI?? :?: You need something different for a 10' UI, but not for desktop use...

maclauk

Re: Incomplete lists

Post by maclauk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:09 am

FrancisMartens wrote:I'm using windows media player 11 as is (no on2share plugin)
WMP11 finds the server and builds a partial library (i.e 60% of the songs are listed, pictures are not showed, playlists are ignored.

Although WMP is listed as client in the clientdevices, it is not working completely. Anyone having an hint
What OS are you running on the client? XP or Vista? If you have WMP finding a media server under XP can you let us know how you have done it... WMP did nothing for me until I installed that awful on2share thing... :(

kimm

Post by kimm » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:28 pm

maclauk wrote:Not too keen on WMP11, but it was on2share I really hated. Slow, unstable with a dreadful interface. :( Why is it media players, unlike virtually all other applications, think they need to have a funky UI?? :?: You need something different for a 10' UI, but not for desktop use...
Hi maclauk

Should I understand it that way, that you are not to keen on WinAmp, or ...

As wrote before - WinAmp is stable together with on2share

/Kim

maclauk

Post by maclauk » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:14 am

I use Winamp as my main music player for music on the local machine. I found it very slow and unstable when used with on2share. As I said before my problem is with on2share, it just seemed slow and crash worthy with an appalling UI.

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:15 pm

hi,

I finally found out how to use Media Player (for Vista) to access Twonky! it's so easy, I must be blinded in my previous attempt... There's no need for any plug in or whatever, the standard media player is good enough!

Reeferjon

Post by Reeferjon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:19 pm

Good news....go on then LOL......how did you do it.. :D

maclauk

Sorted...

Post by maclauk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:19 pm

My PS3 now plays most of what I need. My laptop has been retired as a client and all is now done through the Playstation. :D

Reeferjon

Post by Reeferjon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 pm

So does anyone know how to use WMP to access Twonky streams.

fstefan

Re: Media Client for XP

Post by fstefan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:00 pm

Just to come back to the original question:

Is there a client software for Win XP that can play TwonkyMediaServer-hosted movies, an music?

Frank

mimimi
AV Hardware:QNAP NAS101 Twonky Server 4.3

Post by mimimi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Yes, lets come back to the question. What is the best client for WinXP?

Reeferjon

Post by Reeferjon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 pm

That would be nice...I have found else where on the net that WMP for xp does not support streaming from a server...

KoMa666
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia 4.4.9
PS3 -V2.53
XMBC - CVS16371

Post by KoMa666 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Hi,

try XBMC ... it works great!!

Just search google for it ... works fine with Windows XP. Please do not use the official Atlantis 8.10 release since the artist name is broken in this release. Please use a SVN-build with at least Rev16371, which works fine (search google, I do not hav an actual link).

KoMa666

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Twonky MediaManager?????
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

liquid
AV Hardware:2TB MyBook World edition II, Dell M2010 running Vista Home Edition, Xbox 360

Post by liquid » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 am

I'm running vista, but twonky shows up in WMP with no adjustments from me. On the Library page left hand navigation bar it has a playlist tree, library tree, and then 'PVConnect on TwonkyMedia'. It works great for streaming music, but trying to use it for video's is a pain. Music you can sort by artist or album and even folder... movies don't have all that info included in a id3 tag. Video's can get sorted by actor, genre, rating, playlist, or All video but why isn't there a folder option?

This PVConnect loads selections very quickly, which is what I'm looking for. I've been using media center for movies, but it doesn't detect twonky. I have to use a network share there is some serious lag during navigation, after I hit play though it's fine. *shrugs* I just hate having people over to watch a movie and having to say... "ok... just one more min..."

Heh. At the end of the day though, Twonky still pwns.

liquid

hajuro

Post by hajuro » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:01 pm

liquid wrote:I'm running vista, but twonky shows up in WMP with no adjustments from me.
It works out of the box with Vista, but not with WindowsXP.

liquid
AV Hardware:2TB MyBook World edition II, Dell M2010 running Vista Home Edition, Xbox 360

Post by liquid » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:57 am

ahhh... I thought that may be the case... just didn't want him thinking it didn't work just because he wasn't looking in the right spot for it though.

john.glasson
AV Hardware:Server: Western Digital My Book World Edition White Light
Clients: Zyxel DMA1000, Philips Streamium 1100, Netgear MP101, Pocket Player on WM5 PDA

Post by john.glasson » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:18 pm

I've at long last found a satisfactory solution for both XP and Vista: a free programme called 4u2Stream (see http://4u2stream.4u2sites.com/ )

I've tried WMP11 on both XP and Vista. It appears to ignore the Twonky tree - it found my Synology server ok but then builds its own tree. This is unacceptable for me: I use some tags in a non-standard way which I then deal with by a Twonky custom tree; WMP's tree is not useable.

But 4u2Stream works fine - an excellent solution. It installs using 'ClickOnce' technology which I'd not used before and results in the executable ending up in 'Documents & Settings' but there's Microsoft for you....!

John Glasson