NO FILES ON NETWORK DRIVE

Windows specific discussions
dosser
NO FILES ON NETWORK DRIVE

Post by dosser » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:35 pm

I installed TwonkyMediaServer on a Windows 2003 Server -

I have all my files on a extern Network-Raid , and can not see these files in TwonkyMediaServer.

First I tried \\Server\Video - no files :-((
Then I mapped \\Server\Video to Y: - no files :-((

From WindowsExplorer and from commandline i have all rights on the \\SERVER\VIDEO share .
A "dir \\SERVER\VIDEO /s" shows up all files

I have tried

1) starting Twonky as service with Administrator rights
and
2) running TwonkyMediaServer.exe as Process within my current User-Context

Any solution for me ??

cactus-online

Re: NO FILES ON NETWORK DRIVE

Post by cactus-online » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Twonky ignores network shares. It is not a bug, it is a feature. I tried tifferent things, using the WebGUI or edit of config files ... .

TF

fukkes
AV Hardware:XBOX XBMC, ROKU SOUNDBRIDGE 1001

Post by fukkes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:37 am

Hi There!

Is it possible to access a network-share or not?

I am runnung 2 virtual machines (win xp) on a win 2003 Server.
The server hosts my media an one of the virtal machnines runns twonkey.
I want twonky to search my share on the win 2003 server but twonkey count zero songs... :(
What can I do ?????
Is there a workaround?

thanks!

jroman
AV Hardware:MORE AND MORE

Post by jroman » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:43 pm

this is a disaster

The TMS 4.4.9, whit the network drive is fine!!!

BUT THE TMS 5, NOTHING THE NOTHING

Why?. :x :x :x :x :x

Think about what is happening, you are doubling the network traffic by having the shard media itself on the same network as the clients. you have media going in and out, not just out.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 am

You should install Twonky on the device storing the media. It's a really bad idea to try and stream to remote devices with the media itself being on a remote drive.

The fact Twonky won't let you share media on network drives is intentional (I suspect) to prevent this fundamentally bad practice.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

dosser

Post by dosser » Tue May 05, 2009 11:47 am

mgillespie wrote:You should install Twonky on the device storing the media. It's a really bad idea to try and stream to remote devices with the media itself being on a remote drive.

The fact Twonky won't let you share media on network drives is intentional (I suspect) to prevent this fundamentally bad practice.
1)
I think it is my decision where i store what

2)
I don't think it is the programmers job to advisie me, how i set up my hard- & software

3)
I would be really interested , how you would install any software on an external raid, with no possibility to access the raids software.

4)
It is really bad practice to use a raid something other than a raid.

5)
I think programmers better stop the bad practice to enforce users doing things against their will - otherwise they better should put their sofware under the label Microsoft.

regards

beerygaz
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by beerygaz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:58 am

I'm having exactly the same problem. My media is stored on a RAID NAS - which won't run the Twonky server. So I run my server on a Windows box on my network but it won't display any of the files on the NAS. In the log I see "none permanent drive"

As dosser says, I should be able to choose how and where I store my files. I'm perfectly capable of engineering my network to optimise throughput so that I can store my files on a NAS device.

Do I get a refund now that Twonky have decided not to support network shares?

dosser

Post by dosser » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 pm

beerygaz wrote:I'm having exactly the same problem. My media is stored on a RAID NAS - which won't run the Twonky server. So I run my server on a Windows box on my network but it won't display any of the files on the NAS. In the log I see "none permanent drive"

As dosser says, I should be able to choose how and where I store my files. I'm perfectly capable of engineering my network to optimise throughput so that I can store my files on a NAS device.

Do I get a refund now that Twonky have decided not to support network shares?
A solutions is:

If you run Twonky as application not as a service, Twonky will recognize files on external devices.

So if you run it on a Server, you have to apply a automatic login in and put Twonky in the autostart.

Maybe using a win.bat on a the server also will work. Did not test it.

Anyway it is really boaring, when programmers think all users are dummies und have to be adviced how things will work.

regards

beerygaz
AV Hardware:PS3

Post by beerygaz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks dosser - not the most elegant of solutions, but I can work with it. I've created a Vista VM in Hyper-V and that will log in automatically and run TM. After some further research it seems to have something to do with applications running as a service not having access to network shares - but I'm not convinced this cannot be overcome either.

nabecyan

Post by nabecyan » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi !!
I also had the same trouble with TMS 5.0.61, and find the way to recognize the videos from NAS.

The way is set the directory path not using drive letter but use network path such like "\\MyServer\Share\Movies\MyLibrary\".
Then I can watch the files from NAS.

SilentChe
AV Hardware:Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 running a Windows Server 2008 R2 with TwonkyMedia for PS3

Post by SilentChe » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Hmm, I dont think it sounds like a good idea to put TwonkyMedia Server out of services and run it as an application. As you pointed out, that requires you to make changes so that the computer automatically logs in.

Another way, which is easier and doesnt require you to auto login any machine is:
Login to your file server, locate i.e. your "Music" folder, click on Properties -> Security, and add the server your running TwonkyMedia Server in there (make sure to Click on Object Types... and put a check on computer first) . Yes, add the machine ;) Give it standard rights to read

On your TwonkyMedia Server, type in the UNC path to your multimedia folders, i.e. \\TwonkyServer.mordor.local\FileShare\Music