Can't play files from Twonky using VLC

Windows specific discussions
srlem
AV Hardware:hp notebook compaq 8510p
Can't play files from Twonky using VLC

Post by srlem » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi,

I'm a n00b but that's why i'm here. So any help will be much appreciated. I used to be an Twonky server 30 day trial and everything worked fine for me. NOw when I licensed it i have problems .go figure:)

The thing is. I have Twonky server installled on my Windows Server and I used to watch content on my Panasonic Viera and my notebook using VLC. I played content on my PC by opening windows media player which detected the Twonky server, the i navigated to a file i want ed to watch and right clicked on properties to see the location of the file which I then opened in VLC and that worked perfect. The location was usually something like this

http://192.168.1.200:9000/disk/DLNA-PNA ... AAMQAwAF0A

Now things have somehow changed and when i right click the video properties in windows media player i get a "strange" location which VLC doesn't recognize so I can't play it. This is the URL belov..notice the dlna-playsingle thing..

dlna-playsingle://uuid:55076f6e-6b79-4d65-642d-001fd02791dd?sid=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:ContentDirectory&iid=0$3$28I36621&WMQ=1&WMHMETitle=MAA0AC4AQwBvAG4AcQB1AGUAcwB0AC4AbwBmAC4AdABoAGUALgBQAGwAYQBuAGUAdAAuAG8AZgAuAHQAaABlAC4AQQBwAGUAcwAuADEAOQA3ADIALgBEAFQAUwAuAEIAbAB1AFIAYQB5AC4AeAAyADYANAAtAEwAbwBOAGUAVwBvAEwAZgA=

Why is that? Why can't I get the usual 192.168.... location which my VLC would recognize?

TheOmen
AV Hardware:Zyxel DMA-2500
Philips SLA-5500
Terratec Noxon

Re: Can't play files from Twonky using VLC

Post by TheOmen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 am

Is it just me or are you trying to defeat the whole purpose of Twonky by playing direct links in VLC?
If I remember correctly, VLC supports uPnP/DLNA, so you could just connect to Twonky and play what you like......

(somebody correct me if I'm completely wrong...)
TwonkyMediaServer on DS-108j,
TerraTec Noxon, Philips SL5500 and Zyxel DMA-2500 clients,
TwonkyMediaManager on Windows XP

srlem

Post by srlem » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:52 am

Thx for the reply. WOuld be perfect if I could see my Twonky in VLC. But where do I see that? I mean how do see Twonky files in VLC? I can't seem to find them anywhere.. the closest VLC menu item where I could find Twonky files is the playlist.

I suck I know but Google ain't helpin' me this time. So do i need to use a VLC plugin to see my Twonky files directly from VLC?

srlem

Post by srlem » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am

So anyone. HOw do I connect VLC with Twonky .. aka how do I make VLC see files from Twonky?