howto access Twonky from outside the LAN?

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
reach
AV Hardware:Ubuntu Server 10.04 on VMware ESXi5
WD live TV
Samsung UE55D8000
howto access Twonky from outside the LAN?

Post by reach » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:04 am

Hello!
Sorry if this first post of mine might be FAQ and that it's not only Linux related. I'm sure this question is quite common, but I didn't find hints here...

So, my Twonky server is running fine on Ubuntu Server 64, running on VMware ESXi5.
But now I'd like to access my music from the internet (using PlugPlayer on the iPhone) What do I have to do? I suppose open port 9600, but there must be much more, all the security, dial in, maybe VPN stuff.

Could anyone please give a clue?
Thx!
reach

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Re: howto access Twonky from outside the LAN?

Post by DaemonBeetle » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:13 pm

If you want it to be as secure as possible, then yes a VPN is the "simple" solution. You'll just need to set up a VPN server that your iPhone supports (sorry, I've no idea what iPhones support).
No longer running Twonky

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:08 pm

If security is your top concern, VPN may be the best way to go. If you don't need that level of security, you might find this post to be helpful. http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 646#p32846

There are other good posts on this forum if you search for remote access.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

reach
AV Hardware:Ubuntu Server 10.04 on VMware ESXi5
WD live TV
Samsung UE55D8000

Post by reach » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:29 am

Phew, it took me a while to find the twonkymedia-server.ini on my server, because it's not in the /etc (which is where - as far as I know about Linux - it should be located)
However, now I found it, edited it according to that post of your's but it still doesn't work.
Before I start posting config files etc. I have 2 questions:
1) which port would you recommend when 80 is in use? I took 76 which is the closest not-well-known one. Ok?
2) I don't find anything in the setup guide where I adjust for example user credentials. Yes, I don't need a VPN, but without VPN, is my stream really available for ANYbody connecting to me IP/port?? I can't believe this. Furthermore, the "PlugPlayer" which is AFAIK the most popular player for this kind of setup also asks for credentials and doesn't even allow to complete the setup without that.

Thx!
reach

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Sadly I don't have an answer to either of these two questions. Hoping that someone else on the forum does.

Just wanted you to know your post was not being igonored. :)

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

DaemonBeetle
AV Hardware:Plex Media Server, Samsung Smart TV (2009 and 2013)

Post by DaemonBeetle » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26 am

1) It doesn't really matter - just ensure you don't use one that's commonly used for other services. That means that ports above 1024 are generally advised, with 1080 and 8080 being commonly used.

2) Correct, if you want to secure remote access to your media then you need to use a VPN.
No longer running Twonky