Viewing Transcoded Content

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
raptor1010001
AV Hardware:Twonky Media Server running on Debian Lenny, Samsung LN46C750
Viewing Transcoded Content

Post by raptor1010001 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:38 pm

So, I figured out how to get transcoding working and my server does take my video content and transcode it and Twonky puts it in it's cache folder. Question is how do I get my TV to view it? I try to access the video from from my shared location (originally an AVI) and the TV states it's an unsupported format. Obviously why I tried to get transcoding in place. So should Twonky automatically serve the cached transcoded content, do I need to manually do something, or is something configured incorrectly?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Viewing Transcoded Content

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm

I asked someone to answer this and heres what I was given.
This is really complicated, unfortunately. It’s very complex with a lot of moving parts, and unfortunately it’s not all that well documented yet from our end.

A lot of this depends on the kind of TV he has. The TwonkyServer transcodes content (both in background mode, and on-the-fly mode). It exposes the transcoded versions of content on a per-device basis dependending on the client adaptation settings. So this is the basic view of how it works, but actually many more moving parts than this.

I’ll think about this one some more and see if there is some way to answer his question, but honestly it’s not a simple thing to answer as it depends on our client adaptation settings, the format of the incoming/outgoing content format from the transcoder, and whether or not his TV can consume the formats that we are supporting in our transcoder.
I know this is not much of an answer, but I'm sharing it in case it steers you in the right direction. More transcoding info can be found here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p22749

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

raptor1010001
AV Hardware:Twonky Media Server running on Debian Lenny, Samsung LN46C750

Re: Viewing Transcoded Content

Post by raptor1010001 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks for the help Rick. I think I'm going to focus on trying to get all my content in an appropriate format that my devices can view natively. It's unfortunate at this point that this kind of effort has to be invested, but it could just be the nature of my TV...