HP Media Vault ?

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
marshrat
HP Media Vault ?

Post by marshrat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 pm

Has anyone had any experience porting to the HP Media Vault (mv2010 or mv2020? Are there any plans of releasing a distribution for this device?

Telnet to the device is possible and it's running Busybox Linux.

Thanks ..

twonky4ever

Post by twonky4ever » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:39 pm

what hardware (architecture) does this HP Media Vault contain?
twonky is build for many systems.

Do you have full access to filesystem (with telnet)?

marshrat

Post by marshrat » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Yes, full root level access to the filesystem is available via telnet. I'm not sure if it's in the official documentation but there's as excellent FAQ maintained by one of the developers that tells how to get in, (http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault/).

From what I understand the architecture is a Broadcom 4785 MIPS-based system-on-a-chip. in uses BusyBox Linux which is supposed to be a 2.4 kernel. One problem I see is that the kernel seems to be stripped down and doesn't include all libraries or commands.

The device comes with it's own media streaming capability but compared to Twonky it's rather limited. I bought the device mainly as a NAS but I'd love to be able run Twonky on it directly. In theory it looks feasibly.

Thanks ..

twonky4ever

Post by twonky4ever » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 am

marshrat wrote:From what I understand the architecture is a Broadcom 4785 MIPS-based system-on-a-chip. in uses BusyBox Linux which is supposed to be a 2.4 kernel. One problem I see is that the kernel seems to be stripped down and doesn't include all libraries or commands.
Have you tried one of the MIPS trial versions of twonky?
Otherwise ask the support of twonkymedia! They should know whether this device should/could be twonky capable!

marshrat

Post by marshrat » Thu May 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Just an FYI ..

Twonky has been successfuly installed on this device and has been working well. For anyone insterested here are some notes:

1. There are 2 very good resourses to check, one a FAQ and the other a user group. They give very good background information and tips, how to enable telnet, etc.

FAQ: http://www.k0lee.com/hpmediavault/
User group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HPMediaVault/

2. Use the version for "Linux MIPS little endian glibc 2.2.3"

3. The Media Vault lacks 2 libraries needed by Twonky. The FAQ provides a link to download them as well as suggestions on installation location and procedures.

menace

Post by menace » Thu May 31, 2007 5:55 pm

Hi there

I too got Twonky going on my HP MV. Now I have problem of trying to enter my license key. I didn't find any space or line to input my key via the information page ("i" icon).

menace

Post by menace » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:08 am

Problem solved with latest version 4.3. I had the old 4.1 from Lee's FAQ.

Life is good now :D

LaurenOE

Post by LaurenOE » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:15 am

I followed the links in Lee's FAQ and Twonky works like a charm with the HP Media Server! I am acutally AMAZED at how cool this is!
:P