It's possible to run twonky on gentoo amd 64 box?

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
nandelbosc
It's possible to run twonky on gentoo amd 64 box?

Post by nandelbosc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi I read on the Linux-Howto file the debian users can run twonky on AMD64 architecture installing ia32-library, but in gentoo is possible?

I search for a package called similar, but I can't find it.

Thank's in advance!

Sjoske

Re: It's possible to run twonky on gentoo amd 64 box?

Post by Sjoske » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 am

I experience network problems, using a regular Suse 10.2 Linux PC as server. Network freezes appear every now and then when twonkymedia is running, even without any running clients. They disappear when I shutdown twonky. From the PC itself I notice no network problems (while working on the console), but ssh/ping/... to this PC (from other machines) freeze with irregular intervals and periods.

I was suspecting the ethernet driver (forcedeth) in the linux kernel, but I was able to reproduce the problem running the 4.4 twonky server on another linux machine with skge driver.

So I think it is caused by the way twonky uses the network interface.
My big issue is: even though I'm not playing anything from the twonky server using any client I keep on losing the network connection with other applications.

PC1: ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard
PC2: ASUS A8V
Both Athlon 64bit, running 64-bit OS Suse 10.2

My upnp clients: Philips Streamium MX6000i and SMC EZ-Stream.

Network: using a 3COM 8-port switch and a Siemens SX551 router.

For now my conclusion is: do not run Twonky on an amd-64-bit Linux machine.

-- Sjoske
P.S. also posted to Linksys forum some time back...

nandelbosc

Post by nandelbosc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:21 pm

I can run twonky on an AMD 64 in gentoo!

Try to put your IP in "IP address of the server" (twonky config -> network options)

But I need to tell you one thing... when I play a photo I need to wait 5 seconds to view it, 15-20 second for view videos and 3-5 seconds for listem music.

I hope it helps.

Sjoske

Post by Sjoske » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi,

It does not help in my case. The problem shows up with versions 2.9, 3.1, and 4.4. From the outside the server machine becomes unreachable as soon as I have twonky running (despite waiting some time for optional rescanning). It shows very clearly when using NetPalPlus on a windows machine... I loose connection now and then only when twonky is running...

Sjoske

Sjoske

Post by Sjoske » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 pm

Problem solved... but ...

I have inserted an extra router between my SX551 Internetplusbellen ADSL modem and the rest of my network. The SX551 was able to intermittently kill several machines in the network, notable the machine with twonkymedia. Since traffic from the SX551 cannot enter my network anymore the problem is solved, (at the cost of an extra router).

I suspect it had to do with IGMP messages originating from the SX551, which were able to lock-up several machines now and then.