installing Twonky 4.4 on debian 4.0

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
dw28
installing Twonky 4.4 on debian 4.0

Post by dw28 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:51 pm

hi,

i have a problem installing twonky on my debian-server. i downloaded twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh by using wget.

after starting the script with ./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh i get an error message like:
line 161: chkconfig: command not found
starting server
line 167: /usr/local/Twonkyvision/twonkymedia.sh: no permission

then i try to chmod +x twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh but the same problem. what do i wrong?

typer

Re: installing Twonky 4.4 on debian 4.0

Post by typer » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Have you solved the problem in the meantime? I manually installed Twonky on Debian Etch according to the instructions in Linux-HowTo.txt, but placed the two symbolic links pointing to the start script into /etc/rc2.d instead of rc3.d and rc5.d. Works as expected, except for the buggy streaming support for my MP101s :-(.

Andreas

Mattallyc

Post by Mattallyc » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:52 pm

chkconfig isn't a command Ubuntu recognises by default.
My solution is to install sysv-rc-conf (a chkconfig equivalent for Ubuntu / Debian) using the package manager and then create a symlink using the command:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/sbin/sysv-rc-conf /usr/sbin/chkconfig
That fixes the chkconfig problem.
I couldn't solve the last error message - in the end I gave up with the install script and did a manual install into my home directory from the zip file download. Read the instructions in the Linux-HowTo text file which is in the zip download.
Hope this helps,
Matt.

HornedBeast
AV Hardware:XBOX 360
Linksys Router
Linux, Ubuntu Server 8.04.

Post by HornedBeast » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Can someone please post a simple guide on how to install Twonkymedia from the shell script and make it start at boot for Debian and Ubuntu?

As the guide on the download page doesn't seem to work with Debian or Ubuntu.

Thank-you kindly!

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Tutorial on installing TwonkyMedia on Ubuntu 8.04

Post by HornedBeast » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Its ok. I took the time myself to write a guide to installing TwonkyMedia from scratch on Ubuntu Server 8.04 with start at boot enabled!

Check out this link!

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5065

It should work on Debian 4 too.

Hope this helps someone!

P.S. Whilst writing this I appended it to my guide on how to build an automated media-server with overnight podcast and torrent downloading, perfect for people with fast connections that arn't doing anything during the night. Check out this Ubuntu Forum post for more details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=775906

Let me know how you get one!

Mattallyc

Post by Mattallyc » Sat May 03, 2008 7:51 pm

My method to install and autostart Twonky was to download the zip file and just follow the instructions in the Linux HowTo file - but I put the files in my home directory to avoid permission trouble.
To autostart it I installed ubuntu tweak http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ and added an entry in the autostart section giving the full path to the twonkymedia file eg:
/home/username/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia
Did the trick for me...
Nice guide though - I'll give it a go when Intrepid Ibex is out.

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Post by HornedBeast » Sat May 03, 2008 11:51 pm

The way it starts via Ubuntu Tweak only starts the server when a user logs in. This isn't the case when you are running via a server, as a user never logs in.

The method states above starts Twonky immediately during boot time with no user login what so ever. Its useful for a standalone server rather than a desktop machine.

The Ubuntu Tweak method (or simply adding twonky to your sessions menu) is not the same - but a good method for a desktop machine all the same.

Cheers,

HornedBeast

Mattallyc

Post by Mattallyc » Sun May 04, 2008 8:47 am

You're right - I should have made that clear. It was good enough for my needs.
Just looked again at your guide and thought I should mention that I've got Twonkymedia working on a 64bit system without any trouble. I did install ia32-libs, but can't be sure if I needed them or no. I'm running it on Hardy Heron.
Regards,
Matt.

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Post by HornedBeast » Sun May 04, 2008 9:09 am

Can you have a play and find out for me? Would be nice to have that in the guide :)

Cheers again.

Update: Yes, it works if you install the 32bit libs. For the full guide, check here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5065

ecfitzgerald
AV Hardware:PS3
XBOX360
DirecTV HR20

Post by ecfitzgerald » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting this to work in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex?

I did the manual install, and can start it manually, but auto starting through init.d is failing.

The script for 4.4.9 seems to have changed to twonkymedia, from twonkyserver.

But even adding the IP address to the init.d script does not get the server started, as explained in the 8.04 64-bit install thread.
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5065