Struggling to install TwonkyMedia 4.4.9 in Xubuntu 8.10

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
FlintZA
Struggling to install TwonkyMedia 4.4.9 in Xubuntu 8.10

Post by FlintZA » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:12 am

Hi,
I have a machine that I previously had running Ubunutu 7.10 with an older version of TwonkyMedia. I have just done a fresh install of Xubuntu 8.10 and am having trouble installing TwonkyMedia on it. I initially did not read the installation guide, and just went ahead and sudo installed with the installation shell script. I have since tried removing the installation and rerunning the installation with the suggested user changes but still run into problems.
Here is what happens:
-I install with "sudo <path to install script>"
-The install succeeds but the server does not start up (the shell script is not executable)
-Set permissions as in the linux readme: "sudo chmod 700 /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkym* /usr/local/TwonkyVision/cgi-bin/*"
-running "sudo /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh status" results in the following output:
A twonky server seems to be running (PID: ), but no PID file exists. Probably no write permission for /var/run/twonky.pid
-running "sudo /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh stop" results in the following output:
PID /var/run/twonky.pid not found, stopping server anyway...
twonkymedia: no process killed
twonkymusic: no process killed
-running "sudo /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh start" results in the following output:
Twonky servers not found
I would be really grateful for any help. I'd love to get my server up so I can start listening to my music again ;) And I really do want to try and stick to Xubunt, it's MUCH more responsive than Ubuntu.

digitaria
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia 4.4.9 on Ubuntu 8.10. Roberts WM-201 (Reciva) Internet Radio.

Re: Struggling to install TwonkyMedia 4.4.9 in Xubuntu 8.10

Post by digitaria » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:46 pm

Use the .zip file download rather than the .sh file, as per this thread. I had the same problem as you on Ubuntu 8.10 but installation from the .zip was simple.

Download the .zip archive to /usr/local/TwonkyVision. Unzip it. Check permissions on the executable files - I think mine were OK after unzipping. Then start the server. Worked for me.

FlintZA

Re: Struggling to install TwonkyMedia 4.4.9 in Xubuntu 8.10

Post by FlintZA » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks very much for the help, but I've decided to switch from Twonky (and a custom media server in general). I'm tired of fiddling with getting linux to do just what I want (really touch without a decent internet connection at home to look stuff up!).
I recently checked out the latest XBMC build and I think it's time to pull out my old Xbox ;) It's more powerful than my current server too :)