Twonky Server 5.0.40 on Ubuntu with Philips Streamium

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
willem.deboer
AV Hardware:Clients: Philips MCi250 Streamium, Philips SLA5520
Server: Ubuntu Intrepid
Twonky Server 5.0.40 on Ubuntu with Philips Streamium

Post by willem.deboer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi, I can't seem to get my Philips MCi-200 Streamium or Philips SLA5520 to see my Twonky Server 5.0.40 running on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid.
Twonky is running, I can configure it with the webpages, I have pointed it to my media files (music and Photo's) and it has scanned and indexed them. I have entered it in the list of programs to start on startup of Ubuntu.
I have done the route thing, although I don't quite understand the syntax and what it does, but I have entered it as required. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Can someone help me or point me to a URL with a step by step guide?

Thanks!

fuzzmo
AV Hardware:Dell XPS 1710m running Ubuntu 8.10
Sony Playstation 3

Re: Twonky Server 5.0.40 on Ubuntu with Philips Streamium

Post by fuzzmo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm

I have the same problem only with my PS3. I have installed everything fine, can access the webpage, have configured the folders and the content was indexed just fine.

However when I try to access the media server from my PS3 it can't see it. AM not sure what the problem is? Can anyone help? Am running Ubuntu 8.10 also and did the route add for the multicasting.

I installed the Vista version on my brothers PC (on the same network) and it ran absolutely fine - is this an issue with Ubuntu 8.10 specifically? Do we need to check some extra steps?

Many thanks in advance.

chan42
AV Hardware:Buffalo Link Theater (PC-P4LWAG) media player
Sony PS3
Archos 605 WIFI media player
Server is on Linux, CentOS 5.2 - previously Fedora 5 and 6
Currently running 4.4.9 but have tried 5.0.4

Post by chan42 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm not familiar specifically with Ubuntu, but I've got some experience with twonkyserver on Red Hat flavours of Linux. At the risk of sounding simplistic, you may want to check your Linux firewalls to ensure you've got the following ports open to allow upnp (I'm assuming all your devices are on the same local network segment, e.g. 192.168.1.x):

TCP 9000 (for remote access to the web interface)
UDP 1030, 1900, 9080 (I'm going from memory on these. I believe all 3 are required)

Not sure how it works in Ubuntu, but in Red Hat, you can briefly test whether the firewall is the problem or not by running the following as root and then trying to access the mediaserver:

service iptables stop

Don't forget to immediately turn your firewall back on though:

service iptables start

Again, your mileage in Ubuntu will vary.

Good luck.

PS

I haven't been able to get 5.0.4 to work at all. The Linux process keeps crashing. However 4.4.9 has worked perfectly.

willem.deboer
AV Hardware:Clients: Philips MCi250 Streamium, Philips SLA5520
Server: Ubuntu Intrepid

Post by willem.deboer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, as it turned out, Twonky was running just fine. The problem was with my SLA5520 that wouldn't connect to the network for some strange reason. After numerous reboots it connected to Twonky. And the MC-i200 does not support uPnP, which I didn't know.