Turn off image scaling

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
indie_design
AV Hardware:Linux server running Twonky Media and XBOX 360 client
Turn off image scaling

Post by indie_design » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:52 pm

I have a very fast network, but a slow media server.

Is there anyway of turning of CPU-hungry activity (like image scaling), on the basis that it is quicker to transfer 5Mb over the network, than to scale the image down on a 600MHz processor?

jimpf
AV Hardware:PS3, Xbox360, Zyxel DMA1000, Freecom Musicpal

Re: Turn off image scaling

Post by jimpf » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 am

Hi,

Yes, there is a way to disable rescaling of photos if you are comfortable with editing the server's .ini file.
You can find this in the installation directory of your Twonky server on Linux.
- Open the file
- add in the following line
norescale=1
- save and close the file, then restart the server
This should be enough to disable picture scaling.

If you ever want to turn the picture scaling back on, just repeat the process and change the value to
norescale=0

Hope this helps!

-- Jim

indie_design
AV Hardware:Linux server running Twonky Media and XBOX 360 client

Post by indie_design » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Excellent, thankyou for your help.

Is there some documentation of settings I can use here?

-Alex

MiltTheStilt
AV Hardware:Western Digital MyBook World Edition II
PlayStation 3

Post by MiltTheStilt » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:39 am

Hello,

I have recently attempted to turn off scaling as you describe via the configuration file and with the web interface as follows:

http://[twonky IP]:9000/rpc/set_option?norescale=1

The configuration file gets rewritten, and the RPC on the web interface returns "PROPERTY NOT FOUND!"

I am running version 5.1 on a Western Digital MyBook World Edition II. Is that property still supported in 5.1? If not, how can I disable image scaling? It is killing the puny processor in this box...

Thank you!

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Might it just have returned that message because that property wasn't there before you wrote it?

Try http://[twonky IP]:9000/rpc/get_option?norescale to see if the property has been written.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

MiltTheStilt
PlayStation 3

Post by MiltTheStilt » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:34 am

Hi PB,

Yes, it appears that property isn't there (same message with get_option). The question is, how do I add it? According to the original post, I should be able to add it to the config file. When I add it to the ini file, the server overwrites whatever changes I make on restart and norescale disappears. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Maybe the property just isn't used by 5.1 - I tried it with 4.4.18.

If you put the norescale property into the default ini file that comes with Twonky and then re-install Twonky it should use the settings in the default ini as the basis for its initial config file. Might work.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

MiltTheStilt
PlayStation 3

Post by MiltTheStilt » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:26 pm

I found a solution for the PS3. Find clients.db (/twonky/resources for me) and add the following line to the entry with the PS3:

XM:NOTRPICS

This will send the full resolution image to the PS3 only. You'll have to configure other receivers independently.

Reference:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 055#p25030

Do EXIF tags work for others when viewing photos on the PS3? Pretty much garbage on my PS3. Do anyone know how to fix that?

Eric

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:49 am

This seems to be a common problem, and one where I think that one size does not fit all.

Some Twonkymedia installations are low power but on fast networks, so are better sending the full image (my network setup falls into this bag), others are on slow Wifi networks with fast processors, so are better of rescalling!

Clearly what works for one is bad for the other, there is no comfortable medium.

Editing the clients.db is only a temporary solution, and it gets updated every release, and means end users have to hack it each time. It's almost like there needs to be a global setting that determines what class of server each server falls into and sets the rescalling appropiately...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.