Twonky Linux server and xbox 360

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
Wolfi
AV Hardware:Xbox 360, PC with media Center, Linux server
Twonky Linux server and xbox 360

Post by Wolfi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:33 am

Can anybody tell mi if Twonky Linux 5.0.46 server can work with Xbox 360? I mean play media hosted by Twonkly via Xbox 360.
Second question, is there any documentation for Twonky server beside txt files in zip?

Otacon
AV Hardware:Xbox 360

Re: Twonky Linux server and xbox 360

Post by Otacon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:10 am

I use it with my Xbox 360 from an Ubuntu 8.04 x64 server no problems. Couple of bugs in the software but I hope they're getting round to them, everything's mostly fine though - music playback is fine (though occasionally seems to chop a second or two off the end of a track for me), photo's browsings a bit hit and miss (think it's to do with the server trying to scale some images), video playback works best - not tried any transcoding yet though.

Wolfi
AV Hardware:Xbox 360, PC with media Center, Linux server

Post by Wolfi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Have you got new dash in xbox 360?
I'm asking beacuse my xbox 3600 does not see Twonky server. In the same network xbox 360 works ok with PC with Vista premium?
Any guide to connect xbox 360 with new dshaboard with Twonky on linux?

Otacon
AV Hardware:Xbox 360

Post by Otacon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:37 pm

It is the new dashboard yes - no guide though I'm afraid because I didn't have to do anything. Start twonky up, verified it was on the network, and the Xbox just saw it without any fiddling.

If your Xbox cant see it you need to verify the server is reachable from the network (http://<hostname or ip of server>:9000 from another box). If not then there's probably some sort of firewall in the way - or if there's a wireless network, possibly the settings of that (client isolation and such).

dboling
AV Hardware:Not sure what I'm supposed to list here.
Server is my gateway/firewall/storage/web/mail and anything else server. It is running CentOS 5.? on a dell gx270. Primary drives are 2 250gig configured into raid 1 and 1 1TB seagate usb drive split between ext3 and winXP filesystems. 1 onboard ethernet and 4 internal etherrnet cards. 1 gig ram, Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz processor.
-------
The running network consists of 1 baystack 450T vlan into 30 sections.
port 1-3 direct to internet, port 3-6 connect to 2 dlink ABG wireless access points, port 7-24 connects the local lan.
-------
Clients can consist of just about anything, ie any flavor of windows, linux, apple, mac, sparc, ect....
-------
I used to own/operate a full service ISP totally by myself until 911 which should give you an Idea as to how complex my home network is.
-----

Post by dboling » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:00 am

Wolfi wrote:Can anybody tell mi if Twonky Linux 5.0.46 server can work with Xbox 360? I mean play media hosted by Twonkly via Xbox 360.
Second question, is there any documentation for Twonky server beside txt files in zip?
Yes, however if you were using version 4.? and switched to 5.? you'll find alot of functions no longer work.

1. Internet Radio Missing on Xbox 360 but works fine for http://192.168.1.1:9000/webbrowse .
2. Picture function doesn't seem to traverrse directories anymore.
3. Web based nav creation menu no longer exists in 5.?, wasn't so hot in 4.? anyway.
4. Directory structure seems to be missing for video on xbox 360,

I just upgraded to 5.? and so far the list above is all I have found not working for the xbox, everything else seems to work fine when accessing via a PC.

I'm sure Twonky will address all these issues ASAP.
The reason I upgraded in the first place was for all the new features and to be able to control the NAV menus.

Music tracks: 1196
Photos: 0
Videos: 441

as you can see this lists photos as 0, the actual count should be in the thousands.