Can I run TwonkyMedia server on multiple interfaces?

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
cbarn
AV Hardware:Server: TwonkyMedia Server 5.0.68 on Ubuntu 9.04
Player: AT&T U-verse set-top box (Motorola VIP1216 running WinCE)
Player: Nero Showtime on WinXP SP3
Can I run TwonkyMedia server on multiple interfaces?

Post by cbarn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 am

I'm running TwonkyMedia server 5.0.68 on Ubuntu 9.04. The server has two NIC cards, both with fixed IP addresses - one on the network with my A/V gear and set-top box (192.168.1.10) and one on my protected network where the PCs live (192.168.40.10). Is it possible to run a single instance of TwonkyMedia server that listens on both interfaces? If not, what's the recommended way to run two instances so that they don't conflict with each other?

Thanks!

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Can I run TwonkyMedia server on multiple interfaces?

Post by PeeBee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:29 pm

If I look on the Network config page for my 4.4.18 installation it states against IP address of the server::

"This option should only be used, if DHCP is NOT in use! If an IP address is specified the server will not automatically bind to all network interfaces, but just to the specified ones. Please note, if this address is invalid the server will not start anymore!"

This infers that if you leave the interface property blank it will bind to all interfaces which is what you want it to do.

I don't think this property is available directly from the v5.0.x config pages so you either need to set it manually in the ini file or set it using an rpc call:

Code: Select all

http:\\<your-ip>:9000/rpc/set_option?ip=
You can check your current option using:

Code: Select all

http:\\<your-ip>:9000/rpc/get_option?ip
I did find that I had to press "Save Changes" on the config pages to get this to be written back into the ini file straight away, and it's probably worth selecting "Restart Server" as well.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

cbarn
AV Hardware:Server: TwonkyMedia Server 5.0.68 on Ubuntu 9.04
Player: AT&T U-verse set-top box (Motorola VIP1216 running WinCE)
Player: Nero Showtime on WinXP SP3

Re: Can I run TwonkyMedia server on multiple interfaces?

Post by cbarn » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:16 pm

PeeBee, perfect, thank you. I edited the config file manually to remove the IP address, restarted, and it's now listening fine on both NICs.