Stopping Twonky Media Server

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
dave48
AV Hardware:Zyxel DMA1000
Stopping Twonky Media Server

Post by dave48 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Sorry, dumb question, but how do you stop Twonky Mediaserver on Ubuntu? There are instructions in the 'ask' section of the website, but they don't work for me. I can't find where the relevant pid file is, and I've been spending too long trying to find it... Thanks

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Stopping Twonky Media Server

Post by mgillespie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/mediaserver stop
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

fboecom
AV Hardware:PC2500 VIA-C7 Ubuntu 10.04, Twonky Server 6.0.28, WD TV Live, AMDX4 Phoenix MSI 890 (Windows Performance index 7.1, Win 7-64 Ultimate)

Re: Stopping Twonky Media Server

Post by fboecom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:50 pm

If you have installed twonky with sudo then there indeed is a file in /etc/init.d. In ubuntu 9.10 /tms 5.1.2 it is called twonkyserver however.
The neat way of stopping it, is:

sudo /etc/init.d/twonkyserver stop
You could also have started twonky from the install directory, from a normal login. In that case you would stop it from there, but then the startup script is called twonkymedia.sh .... believe it or not.
Suppose you installed in /usr/local/twonkymedia, you would:

/usr/local/twonkymedia/twonkymedia.sh stop
In any case, twonky can be stopped by the rude:

sudo killall twonkymedia
So, you see, you need to be root to stop the twonkyserver from /etc/init.d or to kilall it; otherwise, you could with normal privileges if you were the owner of the process starting it from the install directory.

Also see my install guide:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... ntu#p28830