Linux and UNIX specific discussions
paleemperor
AV Hardware:Sony BDP-S370 Bluray Player
Sony KDL-46HX903 TV
Home built NAS running Ubuntu 19.04.1 x86/64 bit
Installing Twonky on SSD

Post by paleemperor » Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi,

I have installed Twonky on a home built media server / NAS running Ubuntu 10.10 using the helpful installation guide posted on this forum here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7870

My server contains an SSD on which I have installed the OS and applications including Twonky, plus a RAID on which I store the music, video and photos that I wish to stream around my home. I have also set up a RAM drive mapped to /tmp to which I have redirected logging.

Everything is basically working, and I am able to stream video to my Sony bluray player, but I have one problem. Twonky appears to create a folder called db with a path something like /home/<user>/.twonkymedia/db. Underneath that are further folders including one named 'cache'. The contents of the latter are frequently changing and this is not ideal as /home is located on the SSD.

Does anyone know what the db folder and its sub-directories contain?

I would ideally like to relocate the folders, but do not know how to proceed. For example anything that does not change that often (e.g. config that is created by changing options in the Twonky web page) might be OK to leave where it is whilst transient data might be better off on the RAM disk. Does anyone know which, if any of these folders can be re-located and how this might be done?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Roy.

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Installing Twonky on SSD

Post by PeeBee » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 pm

You start twonky using the -appdata switch and point it to a folder not on your SSD. Search the forum for -appdata and you'll find plenty of posts about it.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)