Mac OS X Lion Server won't transcode to iPhone / PlugPlayer

everything about MacOS
McTrinsic
AV Hardware:Mac Mini Server [Lion] - [meant to be UPnP server]
iPhone & iPod touch - PlugPlayer [client]
Mac OS X Lion Server won't transcode to iPhone / PlugPlayer

Post by McTrinsic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi all,

after some quite bothersome experieneces I am left with an o.k. working installation of Twonky Server for mac.

Out of two issues left, this is one:

Twonky Server (latest, downloaded a few days ago) will not transcode to my iPhone 3GS.
On the iPhone (iOS 4.1) i use PlugPlayer (v3.8.0, latest).

I can stream *.mov - files, even a HD one.

Other files, like a divx-encoded file, will only result in a Quicktime-symbol being displayed within PlugPlayer.
Interestingly, the running time is displayed correctly.

VOBs will result in a crash of PlugPlayer.

I have installed ffmpeg (0.75 I think) via macports and pointed Twonky server to it. I also tried the binary from http://go.to/osxffmpegcompiling (0.83), doesnt help anything.

Any ideas?

On the config-page, the files will briefly be displayed under "serving local files", only to stop a little bit after the symbol is displayed in the iPhone.

I tried to assign different profiles to the iphone, from PlugPlayer ti Apple iPhone, but didnt succeed there as well.

Any ideas?

Yours,
McTrinsic

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Mac OS X Lion Server won't transcode to iPhone / PlugPla

Post by Twonky_Rick » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 am

Some of these issues could be player-related. You might want to try another player and see if it works with that. If it is a server issue, you might want to wait for TwonkyServer 7.0 which will have greatly improved transcoding. That might help with some of these issues.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/

McTrinsic

Post by McTrinsic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Rick,

thanks for the answer.

In the meantime I also tried Buzzplayer and ArkMC, without success.

AirVideo works, but that is no surprise - it decodes the files by itself and doesnt need transcoding.

I'll get back to you via PM, since I consider transcoding an essential feature of the server which doesn't work.

Yours,
McT

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Before you put too much time into testing this, keep in mind that TwonkyServer 7.0 will include much improved transcoding. That could address the issues you're seeing. Don't have a solid launch date for that yet unfortunately, but it should hopefully happen before the end of the year.

- Rick

McTrinsic

Post by McTrinsic » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi Rick,

I tried Twonky 7 today.

It didn't transcode either.

Streaming still works.

Due to the online-enforcement I went back to Twonky 6.x.

Cheers,
McTrinsic

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:22 am

Keep in mind that we originally planned to create 3 different versions of TwonkyServer 7. I don't think the free portal version which is out now doesn't include transcoding. There are now some questions whether we will be shipping the full version with all codecs, but I was told there would be a version of TwonkyServer 7 which you could install your own codecs on. When I'm provided with more info on this, I will post it here.

- Rick

McTrinsic

Post by McTrinsic » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:44 am

Sounds great.

I'll stay tuned.

During Christmas time I anyways have other things in mind that transcoding.

Audio streaming works like a charm, wonderfully.

I'll be here for an update mid of january.

Cheers,
McTrinsic

Twonky_Rick

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 am

Happy Holidays! I appreciate your positive attitude. :D

- Rick

McTrinsic

Post by McTrinsic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 am

Hi all,

back from vacation...

Anyone have news on transcoding video on a Mac?

On a side note, I have found a small workaround.

I use PlugPlayer on my iOS devices due its really great interaction experience when it comes to music. Can't be bested by any other software I tried for iOS. Especially the UPNP client AND controlpoint feature make it great. I control the iPod of my wife (connected to the stereo) with my iPhone. Works great with Twonky Server.

I'd like to use that for video as well but as PlugPlayer only does streaming, it os limited to play what the iOS devices can ply by themselves, transcoding doesn't work.

After testing out a LOT of iOS apps for video, I can recommend either AcePlayer, AirAV or AceMusic. I am under the impression that they they are all the same but just renamed for marketing reasons. They display everything I have as videos including DVD-folders (starting with the right vob) and selecting subtitle. Other Players like 8-player or others meant much more hassle.

One of these three gets a free giveaway every once in a while, last time for christmas. Maybe easter again. But even when not, they are like <1€.

Works as a, well, workaround, though I still would prefer to have one fully DLNA/UPNP compliant client for the controlpoint feature and have to have one app less, so transcoding would be still great.

If I can help with the testing of commandline parameters in the config files let me know.
Yours,
McTrinsic